Drivers face soaring car insurance costs

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like peopel are now realising what is happening within this scamming industry

Drivers face soaring car insurance costs

Drivers face soaring car insurance costs - MoneySavingExpert News

Motorists could face double digit price hikes in car insurance costs for the foreseeable future, experts have warned.

The average price of comprehensive motor insurance has soared by 40% during the past 12 months, with younger drivers seeing increases of 51% (see the Cheap Car Insurance guide).

The Transport Select Committee heard that insurance premium rises were being driven up by a combination of increased fraud, higher personal injury costs, a rise in claims management companies and the cost to the industry of uninsured drivers.

Duncan Anderson, of EMB Consultancy, told the committee the recent steep increases had reflected a "catch up" in insurance premiums following higher claims costs.

But he added: "If claims continue to rise at the rate that they have been increasing, rates will continue to increase as well.

"Bodily injury claims are increasing at a rate of 30% and other claims types are increasing by 5% an annum.

"Overall there might be a 15% to 20% natural increase in claims costs if things continue as they are, which will be reflected in ever increasing premiums."

Young drivers hit hardest

Edmund King, president of the AA, told MPs the current increase in premiums was "unsustainable for consumers".

He said the problem was particularly severe for younger drivers, who typically faced insurance premiums of £2,000 to £3,000 a year, often four to five times more than the value of their car.

He said: "If we do nothing costs will not increase as much as in the past 12 months as there has been a catch up, but we will see continued increases unless we take decisive action."

Insurance premiums have doubled since 2005, and Mr Anderson said the main driver was the increased cost of bodily injury claims, with both the number of claims and the cost per claim rising, despite the fact that the number of accidents in the UK has fallen.

King also warned that the high premiums had consequences for society, as young drivers may be tempted not to get insurance.

It is estimated uninsured drivers cost the industry between £400 million and £500 million a year which pushes the cost of cover up for everyone else.

Claims management danger

He said the country now had a "claims farming culture". The committee heard the number of claims management firms operating in the UK had doubled to more than 3,000.

There was also a correlation between areas of the country where there were particularly high concentrations of claims management firms, and areas where a high proportion of accidents involved personal injury claims.

Dr David Brown, of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, said the highest concentration of claims management firms was in the North West, where 40% of accidents involved a bodily injury claim, compared with just 25% across the rest of the country.

There were also high levels of the firms operating in Yorkshire and the North East, as well as in London.

He said London had seen the highest increase in both the number of claims management firms operating in the area and the biggest jump in personal injury claims.

When asked what could be done to help reduce claims costs, Anderson said referral fees, which are paid by and to personal injury claims firms, should be banned and fixed legal costs should be introduced.

'Ban ads'

There were also calls for claims management firms to be banned from advertising and cold-calling potential customers.

But MPs heard that as well as facing higher claims costs as a result of the rise in claims management companies, insurers were also benefiting from them, with the majority of firms receiving referral fees for passing on details of accidents to them.

Nick Starling, director of general insurance and health at the Association of British Insurers, admitted this was the case, but said the system was "essentially dysfunctional" and insurers recognised these fees must go.

John Spencer, chairman of the Motor Accident Solicitors Society, also warned that if referral fees were banned, claims management firms would simply take over solicitors' practices instead.

The committee also heard more needed to be done to tackle the issue of young male drivers, who are 10 times more likely to have an accident than drivers in their 30s and 40s, and their insurance premiums reflect this.

King also warned that the high premiums had consequences for society, as young drivers may be tempted not to get insurance.

It is estimated uninsured drivers cost the industry between £400 million and £500 million a year which pushes the cost of cover up for everyone else.

bit of a chicken or the egg problem there.

Well taking my example I would save probably about 10,000 over 10 years and if I got caught once the what would I get - couple hundred fine and some points - who cares

Me, I now spend on insurance this year around £1600, last year £1800, you see what I mean over 10 years how many times may u get caught.
I know its a numbers game and u may get caught many times but still

Also ANPR systems only tell if the car is insured so if my mum insures the car and I drive it what are the chances of getting caught. I would probabaly still save money over the long term

I feel like its not worth getting it but I know my luck, ill get stopped on the first day :)

Edit: Dont get me started on claims management companies - fooking cnuts

its true though, they will price themselves out, the government should of stepped in years ago, fixed rate insurance is what it should be with fixed discounts on certain stuff, and anyoen 17 to 25 should not be able to drive a car of high performance.

my insurance was £800 last year
same car nothings changed except i got 3 years no claims bonus and

my insurance renewel = £1200!!!???

i checked on loads of sites doing insurance quotes and average they were coming back with is £1600!!!??

plus this is only third party fire and theft

if i go fully comp its £2000!!!

fookin hell when i first passed my test i forked out £1800 for insurance and i could understand that im a new inexperianced driver at that time ok

but now i got 3 years NCB and still a fooking price rise

this is a joke!

i say raise premiums only to the 1s that claim

90% of claims are rigged / fake aided with so called claim managment companys!

its true though, they will price themselves out, the government should of stepped in years ago, fixed rate insurance is what it should be with fixed discounts on certain stuff, and anyoen 17 to 25 should not be able to drive a car of high performance.

To prove how stupid that comment is let me say this

Lewis hamilton is 25

Sab vettle is 23 (I think?)

90% of young people crashing there car is due to inexprence and the lessos they get, And there mostly done is cars under 100 Hourse power.

Inventing a better driving test and lessons - Including ones on the moter way would be a more effective life safer. Making them do IAM training or somthing like that also would improve there driving.

High performance dosnt allways mean your gonna crash.

Not having the approprate skills to drive means your more likey to crash.

Back