drive

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi has anyone or is it possible to use a solid state drive in dm800se.
thanks

Can't see why not, it presents itself as a normal SATA drive so should work, have never tried it though.

If you have an SSD lying around try it. You might have issues like some older PC motherboards have..i.e: the BIOS doesnt recognise or write properly to SSD drives on PC's this can be fixed with a BIOS firmware upgrade,on a Sat box however you are very unlikely get any firmware upgrades for SSD support.
Not particulaly worthwhile though considereing the space/cost ratio of SSD drives. 128GB drives are around 80 Quid for this sort of money you can get a 1TB Mechanical drive. Theres no point in having so little storage on a Sat box especially if yuor recording HD programs you want ideally at least 500GB.
Yes SSD are silent much faster and reliable then mechanical drives, Also dont generate much heat like mechanical drives. But their usage is wasted in satellite boxes, more suited to other applications.

Last edited:
If you have an SSD lying around try it. You might have issues like some older PC motherboards have..i.e: the BIOS doesnt recognise or write properly to SSD drives on PC's this can be fixed with a BIOS firmware upgrade,on a Sat box however you are very unlikely get any firmware upgrades for SSD support.
Not particulaly worthwhile though considereing the space/cost ratio of SSD drives. 128GB drives are around 80 Quid for this sort of money you can get a 1TB Mechanical drive. Theres no point in having so little storage on a Sat box especially if yuor recording HD programs you want ideally at least 500GB.
Yes SSD are silent much faster and reliable then mechanical drives, Also dont generate much heat like mechanical drives. But their usage is wasted in satellite boxes, more suited to other applications.

The heat and noise was main reason..you can get a 60gb for £35 i know its not much space but i recon for me its plenty give six hours HD recording..and you wont suffer all the problems you get with the hard drive being constant and heat..i want the best in the box

The low power laptop HDDs don't generate that much heat. I had one in my dm800hd, then dm800se and now Vu Duo and didn't have a problem. Make sure that keeps things that access the drive regularly off the HDD, so picons, epg download and time shift, put these onto a USB pen/drive and the HDD will then only spin up when recording or when you're watching content off the HDD.

I don't have a large enough USB pen/flash drive so have my time shift set up to use the HDD but again I've never really had any problems.

I've never had heat or noise issues with mechanical drives even old ide drives in my clone dm600 were fine, since then I've had a 800hd,800se and vu duo. I've used western digital, Seagate and Samsung spin point drives all have been fine.
As above minimise usage of the hard disk by shifting frequent usage data to a USB pen drive or sd card in a USB reader. Have you checked to see what the SATA read/write rates are on the dm800 are they even rated to SATA 2 yet alone SATA 3 ?? Basically a SSD is over kill for sat box usage especially on older receivers. Try it out though it will definitely give you acoustic benefit if nothing else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I've never had heat or noise issues with mechanical drives even old ide drives in my clone dm600 were fine, since then I've had a 800hd,800se and vu duo. I've used western digital, Seagate and Samsung spin point drives all have been fine.
As above minimise usage of the hard disk by shifting frequent usage data to a USB pen drive or sd card in a USB reader. Have you checked to see what the SATA read/write rates are on the dm800 are they even rated to SATA 2 yet alone SATA 3 ?? Basically a SSD is over kill for sat box usage especially on older receivers. Try it out though it will definitely give you acoustic benefit if nothing else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

i have to agree mate,
any sata 2.5 inch hard drive will work fine,
gsmtech how many GB hdd in your STB?

500gb drives in both my vu duo and 800se.

Back