Dell 1520 Laptop and Vista Home Premium Updates Failing.

The Mackem

Member ++
Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop I am selling so am reinstalling the Operating System which is Vista Home Premium. I couldn't do an install from the recovery partition as the hard has been previously replaced by an engineer without a recovery partition being installed. I have installed Vista Home Premium from the original Dell Disc and then the drivers in the order as stated by Dell. Problems arise when trying to do the updates for Vista. There is 107 updates for Vista, however after successfully installing 75 of them it then reboots to complete the updates. However after the Dell logo disappears there is some text pops up at the top of the screen. The text pops up that quickly it is impossible to read even any of it. It then tries to boot but gets stuck in a continuous loop. I have tried a Windows repair using the Dell disc I have but this fails as well. Is there anyone who has any clue as to what is going on. Also doing the pre-boot testing brings up an error code relating to the hard drive. I did have a fault with the previous hard drive and reckon the error code relates to that as all the tests I have done on the current hard drive are passed. Is there any way to delete of reset this error code?

Many thanks in advance .

Rob.

If above does not work try THIS

In a nutshell -

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
Hit the F12 key
This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
Select boot from CD/DVD drive

option to either install windows or repair

select repair

admin password -- type it in if you have one

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
or
Type in CHKDSK/R

Hit the ENTER key

Once your machine has finished and repairing the hard drive, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your laptop.

If above fails repeat up to command prompt

After the command prompt - type in FIXBOOT

According to the DELL website the error code 2000-0142 is a Drive Self Test failed error code. Dell - Support

Last edited:
Right I found out it is one of three optional updates that is causing Vista to reboot. Haven't had time to check exactly which one been busy doing other things. It's either KB959108, KB943899 or KB957321. I went through the process of just installing 3 or 4 updates at a time. After installing the three above it just kept rebooting. So I used to OS disc and went back to the restore point. The hard drive has been previously replaced with the above error code the culprit. I have checked the current hard drive using a few pieces of software and it check's out ok with them all. Could the error possibly be from the previous hard drive or is there anyway to reset it?

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Rob.

Back