decking over concrete

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
IN a few weeks I plan to build a deck over a large concrete slab. The slab is about 10" thick and the deck will be 4mx5m and about 500m high.

In the centre I was going to going to bolt 4"x4" treated posts to the frame and sit these onto the concrete to keep the frame from bouncing in the middle.

I was talking to someone yesterday who thinks the legs will rot from the rain on the concrete.

What do you think?

IN a few weeks I plan to build a deck over a large concrete slab. The slab is about 10" thick and the deck will be 4mx5m and about 500m high.

In the centre I was going to going to bolt 4"x4" treated posts to the frame and sit these onto the concrete to keep the frame from bouncing in the middle.

I was talking to someone yesterday who thinks the legs will rot from the rain on the concrete.

What do you think?

I think they could be right, although.... lol

I have my decking about same size, with 4x4 treated posts (10 yr rot proof, jewsons) postcreted into the soil and mines solid still.

If there is likely to be pooling of water then why not bitumen (sp) the bottoms of the wood then fix ?

whatever you sit it on it'll be damp -its the UK lol, its more likely to dry out sat on top concrete than sunk into it-dont worry about the rot, use treated posts

just make sure the post's are pressure treated/tanalised and youll be right m8.

Use treated posts and you should be fine. Just treat the ends that are standing on the ground with heavy duty preservative.

I can use 4x4, but I have a similiar sized deck with 4x2 on 50cm centres and after a couple of years no problems. I don't think you would have a bounce problem unless the posts are strinking and expanding a lot.

The posts will be treated and the cut ends painted with some thing to help protect the ends.

The amount of wind that howls round the garden I think the post will dry OK.

As said in previous posts as long as the posts are treated and the cut ends painted/treated then its no different than sinking them in the ground really

What do you think?

If the timber (posts) you use are for fencing/decking then they will be treated/tanalised and will take years to start rot anyway, if there is water ponding on the concrete use a concrete block to stand the bottom of the post on!

Thanks all, I have some DPC and a few blocks, now its getting some weather to get it done and try and draw some designs to show the other half to give her blessing.

She can not see the ideas until its done and then says "I don't like that":Angryfire

What do you think?

You could drill a few holes in the concrete pad to let the water drain, i did and it work's a treat.....

If you make your deck 4m x4.8m rather than 5m you will make life a lot easier m8.
The decking planks can be bought in 4.8m lengths. You will have very little sawing to do then.

Another tip is to have the planks running at 90 degrees to the house as this gives the illousion of the garden being bigger.

I I
I I--------decking
I I
I I
--------------house

The size will be 4mx4.7m and my orriginal plan was to run along the house and with a chop saw little waste and one cut. There is plenty of pictures on the web to show her indoors, know my dad starting talking to her about another idea and I need to find or draw a plan to show the boss.

Same overall plan but the decking will be cut into just under 1m sticks and the frame will have some joists sitting upto the same hight as the finished deck allowing the short decking to sit in it.

Instead of it being one section 4mx4.7m it will look like 5 sections of 4mx0.9m approx with a long lenth of 4mx30mm between each section.

no offence mate but a 500metre high decking is going to look really strange :banana:

no offence mate but a 500metre high decking is going to look really strange :banana:

Forgot to mention there will be a base camp at the bottom and oxygen at the top for us that are less fit, or I could just drop it to 500mm::banana:

Back