DDWRT - Restrict bandwidth on secondary SSID

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What i have done is created two SSID. one for the internal home network for us to use and one public one for any guests.
Im on a 10mb line.
What i want to do is restrict the bandwidth to say 0.5 mb on the public one. The only thing i can see is the Qos bit but that only seems to only allow restricting it via MAC address and not through SSID. Anyone have any experiances with that?

only way then i think is possible would be to put your other SSID network in a subnet with limited addresses and limit that subnet.

say you give ssid2 30 usable ip addresses and then limit the entire subnet and just let your guests join that.

Dont think dd-wrt will do with just the SSID.

Last edited:
Isn't there some kind of Hotspot Addon with dd-wrt for setting up this king of thing ?

Sure i've seen people talking about setting up public access WiFi systems which are completely firewalled from the local network and can be limited in bandwidth (and/or de-prioritised against normal traffic)

You can use tc rate limiting, only way to do it is via command line (something like this)

tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 10mbit

tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 400kbit allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated

tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip dest xx.xx.xx.xx/16 flowid 1:1

The above will restrict client on ip xx.xx.xx.xx to 400 kbit/sec bandwidth

You can use tc rate limiting, only way to do it is via command line (something like this)

The above will restrict client on ip xx.xx.xx.xx to 400 kbit/sec bandwidth

Can i do this for an IP range rather than just one IP? or even on a subnet mask?

Thanks for all the info! will be trying in the weekend. been so busy not had the chance. looks complicated tho!

Back