Crystal windows, rip off

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been thinking of having my front porch done for sometime now as my existing one is falling apart, anyway i was in homebase today buying a couple things as you do, on my way out their was some guy at the exit from cystal windows selling double glazing so i thought no harm in getting a price from them even though i knew they would be expensive, anyway i arranged for one of their rep to visit which he did anyway my guy knocked on the door greeted him and told him basicaly what i wanted done from the outside, i thought the guy would simply measure up like the other companies and give me a price, this guy invited himself in expected me to offer him a seat so he can give me a fecking 2 hour presentation then give me a price, i polietly told him just give me a price,must of asked him about 5 times he kept comming out with some poop by saying 'its gonna cost thousands' i asked him to explain then he came out with the most pathetic excuse 'well if we do the work we will have to put propper foundation in by digging 500mm down put some rebar in and flood the pit with concrete this really pissed me off so i told him straight by saying your not building a fecking extention its only a lightweight upvc porch with a door on it you can't possibly be telling me your going to be using a rebar, the porch is only 1100x800mm. He soon knew i found him out and fecked off. Anyway i got a decent quote for £1100 supply and fix. None of this rebar business plus it comes with 10 years gurantee. Typical double glazing firm i wounder how companies like crystal windows get so big, i know now buy ripping people off.

when the digital TV market is so saturated (which its coming close to where i live) ill probably go back into uPVC (im a fully qualified fabricator and fitter), either that, or id like to get into some sort of recycling type company, unless i can get a coding job

but the money uPVC companies can make is unreal, and they all rip off each others suppliers, customers, and themselfs, most of the companies i worked for, went through a different trading name every year, still the same people, doing the same thing, with the same suppliers, but constantly going bust, yet making a fortune

how much is it to buy the actual fabrication machine, when i went to the workshop at my local double glazing firm it looked so easy when they were making the windows itself?

to buy the machine itself, i dont know m8, its not just one machine though, you need mitre saws, the welder, a mackine to trim the wleds (blades differ depending on what companies 'profile' you use to fabricate the windows) another machine to trim the face side of the welds, and more.

the machines are the main part of the fabrication process, and id imagine, the main initial outlay, but other than blades for trimming the outside edges of welds, once theyre bought, thats it. i started fabricating uPVC frames when i was 13, and was fully qualified for windows, doors, roofs and glazing by the time i was 15, and then went on to fitting, but i did like the actual fabricating more than the fitting

Back