Concrete shed base

Trust me pal, mine went down on a layer of flags 6 month ago and is still rock solid.

shed.jpg

Build your 6x2 frame. Make sure the levels are spot on
Get a brick and beat down the loose soil, flatten it out as much as you can
Lay down your DPM
Mix your own concrete with a 4-1 mix (beg or borrow a cement mixer)
Get a 4x2 that goes end to end on your frame and level the concrete out.

You'll have the job done for next to nothing as a ton of ballast costs £40 rather than the ready mix which costs a few times that. Personally I wouldn't add anything to the mix unless it is very cold. You don't need any mortar plasticisers or anything similar as you're not laying bricks.

When your back aches think of me.

Munkey that would be excellent advice from anyone else..

But if it was you you'd have had the hole dug by some ancient old ladies from the local care home and filled it in with a 3-2-1 mix of dehydrated single mothers, Polish immigrants and Scots.

In that order.

But ta anyway :)

Just throw some old rubble down there, compact as much as possible, give it a little sprinkle & then get that ready mix over it. Oh & not forgetting that chicken wire you bought. I done my Dads one like that donkeys years a go & it's still picka puka & built with blocks. You'll save yourself some dosh on the ready mix.

Some belting posts here lol but if you want a bit of sense here goes it. If the grounds soft then you are gonna need hardcore to deal with the movement. Yes the earth moves ! and it may well do in your shed (draw your own conclusions). If the ground is nice and solid then you may get away with no hardcore base, however your about to splash out good money on expensive concrete so why risk it cracking on the first frost ? Hardcore is cheap as chips anyway probly less than the bloody delivery charge depending on where you buy it etc etc. My advice if you really really must lay a concrete base then hardcore it. But as mentioned previous why not just flag it and have done, solid concrete floors are for weight bearing so unless your planning on parking your car in said shed you will be ok with flagging the area.

I would be worried about not using coping stones as well.

I don't like the idea of wood supporting a concrete base. Surely the chance of lateral movement increases, thus cracking occurs?

Some belting posts here lol but if you want a bit of sense here goes it. If the grounds soft then you are gonna need hardcore to deal with the movement. Yes the earth moves ! and it may well do in your shed (draw your own conclusions). If the ground is nice and solid then you may get away with no hardcore base, however your about to splash out good money on expensive concrete so why risk it cracking on the first frost ? Hardcore is cheap as chips anyway probly less than the bloody delivery charge depending on where you buy it etc etc. My advice if you really really must lay a concrete base then hardcore it. But as mentioned previous why not just flag it and have done, solid concrete floors are for weight bearing so unless your planning on parking your car in said shed you will be ok with flagging the area.

hahaha sounds like youve done a fair bit of concreteing in san francisco m8 ,{ :ie Yes the earth moves}..........................its called settlement in this part of the world

hahaha sounds like youve done a fair bit of concreteing in san francisco m8 ,{ :ie Yes the earth moves}..........................its called settlement in this part of the world

Anno lol pun was intended

I would be worried about not using coping stones as well.

I don't like the idea of wood supporting a concrete base. Surely the chance of lateral movement increases, thus cracking occurs?

well thats the normal material used for a frame on a free standing slab

why would it crack if his framework wasn't up to scatch ?? it might distort out of shape under the weight but it wont crack

frosts a cracker /excessive drying times a cracker so says frank carson

If you are using hardcore without wacking it down with a plate then all you are doing is saving on concrete!A 6" thick base will be perfect for the job, infact for a shed (as long as it's not a pre formed concrete thing) you could drop it to 4" as long as the concrete is tamped down right to expel the air once its in. Don't forget to allow room for expansion around the edge or the base may crack when the summer comes (If it ever does!). Nothing too fancy, if you leave the shuttering boards in around the edge or if the base is surrounded by soil you should be fine. Just remember not to kneal in the concrete as it burns your knees after a while, always rest on your haunches. Good price per cube by the way. Don't worry too much about the sub soil either as long as it's reasonably compact, the area it's distributed over and the fact it's already in a residential area which has had building allowed (thus sub strata etc must be reasonable).

Last edited:
Back