WiFi Cheap nas drives any good?

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys

im looking to set up a nas drive to share videos and music around the house. Id also like access to them externally, but my internet is poor so understand the speed will be slow. Will a cheapo one do? seen some on ebuyer for 50-60 quid?

Cheers

I've got 2 spare drives mate so I was looking for something I could put them into, but may have a look and see if I can pick up a cheap hdd for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had an iOmega 1TB drive for about 3 years, very rarely power it down & it just sits there doing what it does. However, it came with a 'free' (for 1 year) setup that allowed remote access. I never bothered signing up to that, as I didn't need it at the time. I've now decided that that might be handy to have after all. Happily, my 'dynamic' IP address rarely changes, so I thought why bother signing up to TZO DNS account? Should be able to access it through simple port-forwarding, no? And the answer IS 'no'. I can see the drive's welcome screen (if you can call it that) saying 'Access is restricted to MediaServer configuration!'.
So for that reason I would NOT recommend this drive.
Something else I personally would look for is one that lets the drives 'sleep' when not in use, it seems such a waste having them spinning away 24/7.

I would recommend a Synology NAS, or a QNAP. I have very good experiences with both of them (as opposed to LaCie, Buffalo, WD and iOmega) and both of them get very good reviews. They're very versatile and reliable, and there are many add-ons you can install (e.g. bittorrent clients and NZB downloaders). I'm running a QNAP 809Pro, and a Synology DiskStation DS412+and never had any problems with them.

Remote control of these NASses through port forwarding are no problem and both of them even support setting up a VPN server for secure access to the NAS and to your home network. Both devices also can be set up to go to sleep when there is no activity.

I have sinology ds214 play... not realy cheap but VERY good and provides external access

the difference in price usually is about speed and max number of multiple users,

i use WD mycloud works alright for under 5 users

cheaper than synology and qnap is the HP microserver. Up to 6 hard drives, OS of your choice, I actually have Windows installed and also use it to play back files with the additional of an ATI HD5450 card. All for between £100 and £150. Add a wifi dongle if you don't have ethernet connectivity.

I have got a ReadyNas 104 with four drive bays. You do not need to populate all the bays but can expand as you go along depending on your requirement. If you insert two drives then the discs act a backup for each other. One of the reasons I brought it for is that it has a builtin torrent client so you download files from the interent down to your NAS directly without a pc being required. It also has DLNA so if you have a Smart TV you can watch your movies or view photos from the NAS. It also supports external access but you need a decent upload to use that effeiciently. I would have gone for the Synology DS214 as it has a far superior user interface but is more expensive.

Back