Casey and Poulter given wildcards

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
European Ryder Cup captain Nick Faldo handed his two wildcards to England's Paul Casey and Ian Poulter.

The pair complete the 12-strong team after Justin Rose, Soren Hansen and Oliver Wilson sealed the last three automatic spots at Gleneagles.

The decision means Colin Montgomerie misses out on making a ninth Ryder Cup team, while five-time Cup veteran Darren Clarke was also left out.

"I feel very good about those two picks," said Faldo.

"It's been on my mind a long time and these last couple of weeks, and this has been the big day, the day you want to get over.

"I know how to talk to golfers, and as a golfer I've been there, done that, but to have to make a decision that obviously guys will be emotional about either way is tough.

"I am now very excited, I have got a team and I can now talk to my team. I will start giving them a few thoughts and ask them a few questions on what they want to do and start getting some communciation lines open."

2008 European Ryder Cup team
Padraig Harrington
Lee Westwood
Sergio Garcia
Henrik Stenson
Robert Karlsson
Miguel Angel Jimenez
Graeme McDowell
Justin Rose
Soren Hansen
Oliver Wilson
Ian Poulter
Paul Casey
Captain: Nick Faldo (Pr1ck)

Casey, 31, has played in the last two Ryder Cups, while Poulter, 32, who last competed in the 2004 match at Oakland Hills, caught Faldo's eye with a runner-up place at the Open at Royal Birkdale.

"I've been watching these guys through the summer," said Faldo.

"Ian is a very determined guy, I love his attitude and what he did at the Open - that back nine he played with the intention to win and had that emotional feeling."

On Casey, Faldo said: "I was waiting for the putting to turn around. That has been very important.

"He has an extremely good record in the Ryder Cup and, going back, the Walker Cup."

Poulter chose not to fly back from America for the last qualifying event, this weekend's Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles.

He could have qualified for the team by right with a third-place finish, and his decision not to attend drew widespread criticism.

"It was such a tough decision to make and it might have been the wrong decision looking back. Maybe I should have gone to play Gleneagles," said Poulter.

"I'm absolutely overwhelmed. It's awesome. I'll bring excitement, I'll bring flair and I'll bring the passion I always play golf with and I think that will be an asset to the team."

Clarke, who played heroically as a wildcard at the K Club two years ago shortly after the death of his wife Heather, was favourite for a pick after winning in Holland last week.

"Nick rang me after my last round at Gleneagles to say that I wasn't going to be one of his picks and I simply wished him all the best," Clarke said.

"Obviously I am disappointed that I wasn't selected but I have dealt with much worse and it will make me all the more determined to make the team that will play in Wales next time (2010).

"I would like to wish him and his team all the very best for Valhalla. I will be supporting them from wherever I am."

Faldo also chose not to appoint a second vice-captain alongside Spain's Jose Maria Olazabal.

He had given the job to Paul McGinley, but the Irishman decided to relinquish the role in order to try - in vain - to qualify for the team.

Europe have won the last three matches and five of the last six in the biennial event with the US.

US captain Paul Azinger will name four wildcards on Tuesday, but unlike the last five US skippers he will be without the injured world number one Tiger Woods.

The 37th Ryder Cup takes place at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, from 19-21 September.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/golf/7590864.stm

Published: 2008/08/31 17:21:19 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Monty's record in the Ryder Cup is second to none. Faldo is a feckin' prick for leaving him out! He's one of the best matchplay players in the world.

Monty dont get on with Faldo fair enough...but leaving him out is a big mistake, the yanks hate playing Monty...Faldo is a fookin idiot.

:Cheers:

Back