Calzaghe V kessler confirmed/SETANTA DEAL

al pacino

Senior Member +++
Reaction score
Top promoter Frank Warren has signed a multi fight deal with Setanta Sports to broadcast fights involving his stable of boxers, including WBO super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe.

Their cameras will be ringside when Calzaghe takes on WBC/WBA champion Mikkel Kessler on November 3 at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

After months of negotiations, the fight was finally confirmed tonight by Warren in a media conference call.

It will be one of the biggest boxing shows ever to be held in the UK, with two unbeaten fighters clashing in front of an expected gate of around 60,000.

"I'm delighted to be finally able to confirm this fight, it's one of the biggest I've ever been involved with," said Warren.

Meanwhile the promoter is backing his deal with Setanta to be a major success.

Setanta's coverage will begin with a British featherweight title fight between Andy Morris and John Simpson on September 7 on a sold-out black-tie charity card at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London.

The annual event raises money for DebRA, and attracts numerous celebrities from the worlds of sport, business and television.

"I'm delighted to be teaming up with Setanta, who are now major players on the sports broadcasting scene," said Warren.

"They will give my stable excellent coverage, and help cement my position as the number one promoter in Europe.

"I was impressed with their coverage of Ricky Hatton's recent fight against Jose Luis Castillo, and know they have a knowledgeable and highly skilled boxing team working for them.

"Calzaghe-Kessler is probably the biggest and most important fight involving a British boxer since I began promoting, and having Setanta on board will help make it in a show to surpass all others held in the UK."

Trevor East, Setanta's Director of Sport, said, "To be involved with Frank Warren and Joe Calzaghe is another massive step forward in Setanta's development as a major sports broadcaster. Together with our live Premier League coverage that starts next month, this is a compelling proposition to sports fans everywhere - and at ?9.99 per month it is unbeatable value. Setanta Sports is the only premium sports broadcaster available on all digital platforms in the UK and we will make Joe Calzaghe and the Frank Warren stable of boxers accessible to every home in the country with digital tv or broadband."

"From a personal point of view it's great to be working with Frank again. Over the years we have worked on the biggest promotions that this country has ever seen with Ricky Hatton, Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank and Naseem Hamed and I look forward to repeating that success at Setanta Sports."

Back