Buying horses

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know, not really a pet but there'll be parents on here and girls often have a 'pony thing' so...

Your money may be burning a hole in your wallet but take a step back because it's wild ride - in more than one sense!

More cash does NOT mean better!

A lot of sellers pull in young horses (like from Ireland), often they're failed racehorses, they don't 'fit', could be they are 'difficult', not fully broken etc.

If you know what you're looking for you can tell a lot from a few pictures. But, bear this in mind.

When you turn up to have a look and let your 10 year old daughter have a little ride some things will have happened.

First, if it's 'difficult' it will be tacked up 'hard' to discourage any misbehaviour. Second, an experienced rider will probably have ridden it hard for an hour or so. Third, someone will have shoved a couple of ACP tablets down it's neck an hour before you got there.

Result? It will be docile as fook but after you coughed the cash (sold as seen etc.) and get it home it will be 'nappy' as feck and your precious daughter will be on her arse (if she's lucky) every two minutes.

It might seem like a lot paying someone who knows what they're on about to go with you. Might cost as much as £100 (no, don't ask me ffs). Might also save you a bundle and a load of A&E visits.

Just a thought, given sales are picking up :)

Ok hh don't be a nag about it lol

You can pay my missis if you need anyone to look over a horse/pony :) We've had horses/ponies for decades.Also have it vetted by a vet(who else.lol)who deals in large animals before parting with your money.

I think the most important thing before even cosidering what horse would be to consider if you have or have access to decent space and stable facilities and of course if you can afford to maintain the standard of those facilities and then consider the cost of any possible vet fees or insurance to cover. Then will you actually have the time to attend to the horse and it's needs, because if you do not have the time or the money to pay someone "in the know" to check the horse then the likelyhood is that you do not have the time or money for these considerations.
After all a horse is not a toy that can be put in the corner and forgotten about until you have the "need" to use it.

Just as D8RCS says,they are 24/7.They basically rule your life,can't remember the last time we had a holiday,think it was 1998 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back