'Blue Marble' image of the Earth

reggie124

Inactive User
Reaction score
NPP's 'Blue Marble' A 'Blue Marble' image of the Earth taken from the VIIRS instrument aboard NASA's most recently launched Earth-observing satellite - Suomi NPP. This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth's surface taken on January 4, 2012. The NPP satellite was renamed 'Suomi NPP' on January 24, 2012 to honor the late Verner E. Suomi of the University of Wisconsin

View attachment VIIRS_4Jan2012.jpg

http://npp.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/VIIRS_4Jan2012.jpg

I wonder if any of them said "I can see my house from here".

Bloody hell of a lot of water, never really noticed that before but it's a bit scary.

funny I was just talking about that yesterday, if the earth stopped spinning what do you think would happen to all the water, and don't Google it!

Well given the way the earth moves I would imagine it would have to acclimatise itself and therefore shift it's pattern so to speak, so basically where there was no sea before, there would be.

It's interesting to know also that the earth is actually gradually slowing down:

Due to a transfer of Earth's rotational momentum to the Moon's orbital momentum as tidal friction slows the Earth's rotation. That increase in the Moon's speed is causing it to slowly recede from Earth (about 4 cm per year), increasing its orbital period and the length of a month as well.

To picture what is happening, imagine yourself riding a bicycle on a track built around a Merry-go-Round. You are riding in the same direction that it is turning. If you have a lasso and rope one of the horses, you would gain speed and the Merry-Go-Round would lose some. In this analogy, you and your bike represent the Moon, the Merry-Go-Round is the rotating Earth, and your lasso is gravity. In orbital mechanics, a gain in speed results in a higher orbit.

The slowing rotation of the Earth results in a longer day as well as a longer month. Once the length of a day equals the length of a month, the tidal friction mechanism will cease. (ie. Once your speed on the track matches the speed of the horses, you can't gain any more speed with your lasso trick.) That's been projected to happen once the day and month both equal about 47 (current) days, billions of years in the future. If the Earth and Moon still exist, the Moon's distance will have increased to about 135% of its current value.

Last edited:
Not only is the earth slowing down, due to tidal friction, this affects the moons rotation which is speeding up and this is causing the moon to pull away from the earth at a rate of 4cm per year, thus making the length of a month longer, due to the increase in the moons orbital period.

Did you also know that earthquakes cause the polar axis to wobble, the Japan earthquake offset the axis by 15cm, more than previous large earthquakes in Chilli (2010) and Sumatra (2004).

If your paranoid and want detailed info it's here - http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/

Nice picture though. :)

now that's funny as I new that and yet didn't have a clue about the water and what would happen to it, I've watched endless shows and have seen that there would be a giant moon, some thing that we can never ever get to see, me you and everyone here now, how ever this post might be *bumped in the year 2876876896 who knows and they'll look back and *ptttt* at me and this post from 2012, lol when you think about it I get jealous some times thinking about what technology will be like even in a 100 years not even to mention what it would be like in a billion years, then again, I'm one of those that think that maybe the sun will not rise tomorrow, who's to say it will, just because it has for the past so many billions of years doesn't mean it will, but that I guess.....

1.) The Sun has always risen before, why would it stop now?

2.) People paying attention to the movements of the planets would know if it wasn't (more science than philosophy).

3.) "Rising" is only a point of view from humans. Has the Sun truly ever "risen"?

It's a not a cynical way to think, far from it, just puzzles me to think about it, how we are so tiny in the universe, look at the northern lights the other night, makes you realise just how un-important we are to the sun for example, some thing that over time will eventually become to destroy us and all around us.

A sombre thought for heading to bed and getting up and doing all the rat race for a Friday morning, needless to say I'l probably chuckle as I see the fat woman hushing and rushing across the road to get her kids to school muttering away to her self about the "cold weather" and "isn't it awful" when all I'm thinking is if gravity wasn't 1 on earth and it was a half of what it is it might stretch them really fat hips of hers and she'd be a lot taller....lol, we can only pray!

Right where did I put my stone? I've got my Philosophy head on. 23:21 sheez I must get to bed, I've got to keep the world turning tomorrow and do my bit, I'm off to look at the LED's shining in the night.

Last edited:
"I'm off to look at the LED's shining in the night. "

ive just orderd some after reading you rpost :_0

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Item Title:GU10 3528 SMD 60 LED Spot Light Bulb Lamp Spotlight 1210 230V
350LM Warm White

Back