Any electrical wiz's on here ? component part repairs

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just got a ST170 on a 2003 plate - got it nice and cheap salvage, £700.

Anyway, had Mgt light on so read it with my elm reader and got
P1518 intake manifold runner control (stuck open)

So I check the IMRC and find it does not operate how it should do, e.g. it should pull the cable when started too open/close the flap in the inlet manifold - and do the opposite of that when you reach 5k revs.... or along them lines.

Mine does diddly squat.

I have checked what I can on the board and changed a diode which was reading in both directions - still does not work.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at it ? I think its poss got a dead surface mount resistor..... but I dont know the values of them as I can not find a schematic for the circuit to check it against, nor can I get one of the buggers off the board ! lol

Cheers in advance.....

p.s. anyone got a spare IMRC in their shed ? :p

had a search and found this "My problem was that the little return spring, inside said silver box, that ensures the flap sits fully closed had come off of its mounting post. once remounted the problem was sorted for no money at all."
apparently it is quite a common fault and this also
"I had this problem p1518 inlet runner stuck open or what ever. Took the box off that's bolted to the bulk head and had a couple of dry connections on the circuit board put a soldering iron on them renewed the connection put the lid back on job done light even went out on its own. So befor you go a give £160 to fords for a new one just have a little look your self"

edogg

had a search and found this "My problem was that the little return spring, inside said silver box, that ensures the flap sits fully closed had come off of its mounting post. once remounted the problem was sorted for no money at all."
apparently it is quite a common fault and this also
"I had this problem p1518 inlet runner stuck open or what ever. Took the box off that's bolted to the bulk head and had a couple of dry connections on the circuit board put a soldering iron on them renewed the connection put the lid back on job done light even went out on its own. So befor you go a give £160 to fords for a new one just have a little look your self"

edogg

Cheers edogg,

Already checked all that though :( re-flowed the whole board and the spring is in the right place :(

The problem is, when you turn the key on the unit is meant too pull the cable tight to open the inlet flaps. Mine does nothing at all, the spring fault causes the "Stuck Closed" fault as it does not have the springs pre load too pull it back to the "open" state - thus just stays there - as its just a cable in a sleeve.

IMG_6430.JPG

Thats it prety much stripped down how I had mine today.

Got too be someone that knows their way around a circuit board lol ?

Back