airbag light

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an airbag light illuminated on the dash of vaux astra 1.6 sxi

to cut a long story short, the cam belt snapped on the car, and AA towed it home.

my m8 towed it to a garage a few days later and the mechanic operated on the car, and he said it had bent 8 valves out of the 16 and needed new head set etc....

got the car back, running sweet, better than it ever has done, BUT the airbag light is on.

i phoned the garage and he said it was on when we took it in, which i know it wasn't. and he wants £20+ to reset it.

how do i reset the airbag light as to not give this man more money.

does it need to be a special tool, or can i do something myself.

i was told to remove the bulb LOL, but that is not what i want to do.

any help or ideas, or anyone have any m8's in a garage who owes you a favour?

thanks in advance.

air bag

check all conections going to the seat belt socket on the seat as these can be tempremental especially if you have jerked the belt hard, little orange plastic card will be sticking out slightly if these are damaged.
The seatbelts are all part of the srs system of the car and cause most airbag light failures, will ask my bro later if there is any shortcut to re setting lights on v/hall as he works in garage

cheers BERTY, will check them belt sockets when she gets home from work.

Air Bag Lamp

the best way to locate fault is to plug in diagnostic and check system for location of fault but definatly check the seat belt pretensioners as this is commom, or it could be because the garage used a booter for the battery causing a surge thos creating a fault this can easily be reset with this diagnostic comp i know coz i do this everyday where are you from i may be able to help.

Have you tried , long shot, leave your lights on an disconnect the battery. Leave it like that for 30 mins, this tottally drains the ecu ect of any voltage, rewconnect battery and turn ignition on... Been know to work ;)

will try the battery and lights method, cheers, also i have pm'd wizz with my location. i hope i get it sorted for her, she says it's annoying whilst she is driving, there is this airbag light on dash telling her something is wrong. i hope it's the drivers side at fault and not passenger side, as she drives me places in it when i can't be bothered to drive. LOL

I know when Littlejohn done a repair on my car, the engine management light came on.

He quickly switched the ignition on and off about 17 times and it cleared it. dont know if that'll work for you m8.
Might be something to do while you wait for her getting her coat on or something lol.

on a vauxhall reset with ignition key on/off is 20 times some times it works sometimes it dosent but worth a try

if u cant find the fault removing the bulb works every time lol

Alan, lets get serious about this m8. Airbags are a big safety issue in cars these days and especially when insurance companys are involved after an accident, believe me m8 I fit them in cars for a living, forget all this crap like this:

"leave your lights on an disconnect the battery. Leave it like that for 30 mins, this tottally drains the ecu ect of any voltage, rewconnect battery and turn ignition on".

(Maybe this guy needs to stop looking in Google for answers...lol)

total bull m8!..the ECU has capicitors in it to remember all the data stored, that means even in the event of the battery going dead it will still store the factory data,no matter how dead the battey is..... may I add that the only way to erase/alter this data is to get the ECU re-mapped, ie reconfigured by the dealers.

I must stipulate that in the event of an accident that the airbag / airbag's that are required to deploy on impact are faulty, due to incorrect reconfiguration may result in non settlement from your insurance company.It's in the small print Alan.

Gary Jackson said:
"leave your lights on an disconnect the battery. Leave it like that for 30 mins, this tottally drains the ecu ect of any voltage, rewconnect battery and turn ignition on".
(Maybe this guy needs to stop looking in Google for answers...lol)
total bull m8!...

PMSL... Yeah coz capacitors wont drain eventually will they... :handball:

Brainiac.

After all H did ask of a way to try and reset the light WITHOUT paying money to the guy to reset it.

The lights have been know to come on with having a fault, sometimes the sensors just fook up. And if he WAS able to reset it WITHOUT handing over dosh then if it came back on then he WOULD know that there was a definate fault and then would have to hand over the dosh to get it checked correctly.

The airbag light is a failuare on an mot by the way they also check the delay which it stops on.... Glow plug timer has been known to cheat this one ;)

But again they shouldnt be messed with without the correct tools, just like a computer they can go bang because of static on you ;)

Used to sub these things up many years ago at work, myself and a fellow worker used to play conkers with the detonators, not a bright idea when you look back on it ;) but great fun at the time...

Yours

Google.... PMSL :ASSFLASH:

i would like to thank wizz2c.

i took the car to his garage today and he reset the airbag light on her Astra and also he reset the engine light on my BMW (fault code reads: fuel trim).

thanks again wizz2c, your a star.

p.s. i'm sobering up now. i felt like death warmed up before.

a no you got it sorted mate but air bag lights can come on from things like a faultly altenater and even things like a corroded plug on you harnes(also if you dont dissconect your battery whiles changing seats pretensioners) when the bloke reset it for you if there was a fault it would ov came back on i changed the air flow meter on my vectra and forgot the plug it back in and that set it off on mine. if its been reset by garage and its still off every thing is ok when you key the eggnition thats only to reset your ecu of fault codes and it would not take your airbag light off anyways youve done the best thing matey

pleased you got it sorted

srs

buy the tool to rest the srs light it dont cost much if u have a pc

Back