Acer Revo L80 Nettop PC

simplemick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie question.

Just ordered the Acer Revo L80 with no operating system with a view to running XBMC as the operating system. Is there an advantage to putting on Windows 7 too, apart from being able to surf the internet easier?

TIA
Mike

I've split your post out to a new thread.

As for Win 7, if you use netflix it's much easier to get running on a Windows OS - at least until they switch from Silverlight to HTML5.

OK, thanks. I'm going to give it a go with just XBMC tomorrow, if not I'll try Windows 7 as I have a license for it.

Any tips etc welcome for setting this up.

Thanks.

Hi,

Newbie question.

Just ordered the Acer Revo L80 with no operating system with a view to running XBMC as the operating system. Is there an advantage to putting on Windows 7 too, apart from being able to surf the internet easier?

TIA
Mike

Ive got a Revo (using it right now actually), I didnt know XBMC was an OS. It came with Linux installed: I'd never used it before, faffed around for an hour or two, then said "Sod it" and installed Win7. Piece of piss to set up XBMC, and running Netflix through Chrome, I use Hola extension to access the US version of Netflix. Wireless keyboard and mouse (€25 in PC World), hooked up to the LG47" and my old surround sound, it's a thing of beauty! I'd recommend the Win 7 route personally.

Ive got a Revo (using it right now actually), I didnt know XBMC was an OS. It came with Linux installed: I'd never used it before, faffed around for an hour or two, then said "Sod it" and installed Win7. Piece of piss to set up XBMC, and running Netflix through Chrome, I use Hola extension to access the US version of Netflix. Wireless keyboard and mouse (€25 in PC World), hooked up to the LG47" and my old surround sound, it's a thing of beauty! I'd recommend the Win 7 route personally.

Well, XBMC is not quite an O/S, it is a linux variant that boots straight into XBMC

Nice, never knew that. I thought it was just a program. Might bolt up an old PC for the eldest so he can have his own media player, seeing as its free. Is it difficult to set up (like I said I've only a few hours of farting around experience with Linux)

Thinking on, I'm going down the road of installing win 7 first. Much as the revo's primary use will be xbmc, I'm going to give it a go with Windows just in case I want to use it for other things.

I can always wipe it and start again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well the XBMC only thought is out of the window. It would appear that XBMC on Linux (and thus on a sort of OS) doesn't work on the L80, when installing you just get multi coloured flashing screen. So I've put Win 7 on it, which had no drivers, meaning downloading the Win drivers on a different machine and putting them onto the L80 via USB. All working now, just need to do XBMC.

Anyone thinking of using an L80 for anything other than Win 8, be prepared for some faffing around.

Back