500c Network Speed issue

wiggy9906

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've had a very strange problem on my 500c that I thought I'd investigate last night to try and get to the bottom of it. The symptoms are that the download speed from the dreambox is about 5kps, upload is fine at 200kbs+. I was using a diorj 0.6 image but have also tried PiLite and last night the DW neutrino beta image.

The strangest thing is when no picture is shown the network is fine. If the box is in standby upload/download is as you'd expect, also fine if the box is turned to a non transmitting channel or to radio.

I'm unable to stream or record and the web portal is very slow, task such as uploading an image to the /tmp directory is fine, downloading one to PC takes 10 minutes (or 10 seconds when in standby).

I have re-flashed, flash erased, changed ip, changed images, change lan cables, tried via a crossover cable rather than via router, all to no avail. I beginning to think it's a hardware fault, but can't explain why it's ok when in standby.

The best explaination I can come up with is the NIC gets screwed when the mpeg chip is being used.

I'm pulling my hair out now, anyone got any suggestions?

Wiggy

Try changing the router end to 100-full duplex or whatever device you have it connected to.

Try changing the router end to 100-full duplex or whatever device you have it connected to.

I'm unable to set on the router, but I'll get my crossover cable out and try direct to laptop.

It gets stranger, with a cross over cable and laptop nic speed set to auto, the speed is fine. via the router transfers from the box are too slow to be usable. This would indicate a router fault, but when box is in standby transfers are fine.

I found a hardware mod here to increase the power sent down the lan cable. I'm thinking maybe it's a power issue. With a crossover, the power comes from the laptop, when the box is in standby there's enough spare power. Just a stab in the dark, I clutching at straws now.

I'll try to get hold of another router to try next.

Those mods look scary.

Try 100-full and 100-half and 10-half on the laptop and see what happens those transfer speeds.

I suspect best solution will be a 600 (!)

I've now connected dreambox to a small 5 port switch, then the switch to my router and all seems fine. I suspect changing my router might sort the problem, but this does not explain why there is no problem when box is on radio or standby.

Duplex - it when its on tv it is trying to use the network interface at 100-f and the router is A-A and it will get CRC issues (2 way traffic colliding). I bet on radio and sandby it wont be in use.

Just a theory that fits the facts. The new setup prob auto negotiates better.

Have you any drives mounted ? If you you could unmount them and see if it amkes a diff on original setup.

Last edited:
Duplex - it when its on tv it is trying to use the network interface at 100-f and the router is A-A and it will get CRC issues (2 way traffic colliding). I bet on radio and sandby it wont be in use.

Just a theory that fits the facts. The new setup prob auto negotiates better.

Have you any drives mounted ? If you you could unmount them and see if it amkes a diff on original setup.

I've not any drives mounted, I mainly use the networking for the web interface, which should use very little bandwidth, but it can take up to 30 seconds for the page to load.

I use ddwrt on the router and I've found the speed duplex settings (under vlans for some reason). I have tried 10 half duplex/10 full duplex/100 half duplex/100 full duplex and Auto, none of these make a difference.

Wiggy

Back