£51,000 Stolen In Website Scam

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A torbay machine operator advertised items for sale on the internet website eBay - then stole them to order from his employers.

Exeter Crown Court heard yesterday that over a six-month period Marc Cole stole property worth over £51,000 from Paignton-based electronics firm Bookham. Prosecutor Chris Bennett said the thefts came to light when the company carried out a full audit having been alerted by another firm in London with which they did business.

The investigations that followed revealed a substantial number of items had gone missing, some of them worth as much as £11,000.

Mr Bennett said the total amount of machinery that had gone missing was £51,374 and Cole had sold it for less than £9,000 on eBay.

Cole, 25, of Abbey Road, Torquay, pleaded guilty to one charge of theft and three of obtaining money transfers by deception.

He was jailed for 12 months but the sentence was put on hold so Cole could complete his college exams.

The court heard that among the items that Cole sold to order were three fusion splicers worth £11,000 each and nine fibre cleaners worth £1,200 each.

Prosecutor Mr Bennett said the company had spent £3,000 recovering £22,000 worth of their goods but were still losing out to the tune of £32,223.

The court heard Cole advertised goods then stole them to order. In interview after his arrest he made full admissions to the police.

Mitigating, Ann Bellchambers said Cole started committing the offences to pay off rent arrears because he was afraid he would go to prison for non payment and things snowballed out of control. He found it impossible to stop stealing and it came as a relief to him when he was caught.

He had now come to his senses and hoped to pay off his remaining debts. He currently had a job as a waiter and was taking exams in three weeks time in the hope of going to university.

Passing sentence Judge Richard Flowerdew told Cole: "You have behaved stupidly and in breach of trust. These sorts of offences are all too common and too easy to commit. I have to look at the size of the offences and the amount of loss. I have to deter others by passing a custodial sentence. However, I am not going to send you to prison today so that you can take your exams. But the sentence will be one of 12 months and you must be back here on June 23."

Bookham Technology Paignton site leader Roger Baker said: "This matter has been handled by the law and we have no further comment to make on it."

I know m8,i had probs a few weeks ago on amazon,ordered a book from the marketplace and never recieved it :( got money back off amazon but puts u off ordering from these places again.....

Back