Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E (West Beam)

Zorch

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi again all,

I've just been checking reception on Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E and I am now getting a signal lock and pictures on every West Beam transponder on this satellite... this is a first for me... I could always get a few of them but now I can get all of them... the only transponders I cannot lock on this satellite are the 3 on the East Beam... but I have never been able to get a signal lock on these anyway...

Listed (below) are the Signal Strength/Signal Quality readings of all the transponders that I have managed to lock...

Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E

11.785H [27500] 5/6 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 45.5 Mbps [West Beam]

View attachment 72586(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 58%

11.823H [27500] 8/9 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 48.6 Mbps [West Beam]

View attachment 72587(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 56%

11.861 H [27500] 8/9 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 48.6 Mbps [Europe Beam]

View attachment 72588(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 58%

11.977 H [27500] 8/9 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 48.5 Mbps [West Beam]

View attachment 72589(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 56%

11.996V [27500] 8/9 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 48.6 Mbps [West Beam]

View attachment 72590(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 56%

12.168H [27500] 5/6 DVB-S [QPSK] 42.2 Mbps [West Beam]

View attachment 72591(click on image to enlarge)

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 55%

Thanks to Lyngsat for package details

I have attached some Signal Strength/Signal Quality pictures on the next post down... I will add some channel pictures tomorrow night if reception of this satellite is still favourable...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Attached are the Signal Strength/Signal Quality pictures as indicated in the post above...

Last edited:
Once again Zorch the incredible Fibo works Flamin miracles thats a very nice catch mate very nice.

Well Done

Attached are a few pictures of channels from this satellite... I have selected one channel from each transponder/package...

do they break up at 50% or lower or higher? is that Dubai Racing the same as Badr4 or Nilesat 201, the one on 201 had more UK racing.

Hi cappuccino99,

do they break up at 50% or lower or higher?

The transponders on this satellite are all DVB-S2 (apart from one) and have quite high DBR (Digital Bit Rates) ...so if my 'Signal Quality' goes down to 50% there is no signal lock at all... as an example...

11.823H [27500] 8/9 DVB-S2 [QPSK] 48.6 Mbps

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 57%

If my 'Signal Quality' goes down below 55% then the signal lock and picture are both lost... that's how fine the margins are when it comes to 'Fringe Reception'...

...is that Dubai Racing the same as Badr4 or Nilesat 201, the one on 201 had more UK racing.

Reception of Nilesat 201 is not possible in the UK as this satellite employs a 'Spot-Beam' specifically directed over the Middle-East region... and to answer the other part of your question... I have never compared the Dubai Racing Channel on Badr4 to the one on Yahsat 1A so I can't really help you there mate... unfortunately I don't know very much at all about Horse/Camel racing...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
do they break up at 50% or lower or higher? is that Dubai Racing the same as Badr4 or Nilesat 201, the one on 201 had more UK racing.

The simple mathematics are pretty much as Zorch explained so a low FEC will allow a signal breakup at a lower margin and a higher FEC Signal lock would break up higher

Hi again cappuccino99,

Completely off-topic for this thread... however... if you are interested in Horse Racing...

Racing International (South Africa) is currently FTA on...

Intelsat 12 at 45.0°E

11.517 V [2960] 7/8 DVB-S [QPSK] 4774 Kbps

Racing International [VPID 0512/APID 0650/PPID 0128] FTA/VideoGuard

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 97%

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Thanks for the tip on the Racing International channel being free.

Also using the Fibo 120cm and Technomate TM 6900 HD Super in Central Scotland. I was getting pictures on the European beam when this satellite was testing. I am getting indications of signal peaks on the inbuilt Spectrum Analyser but cannot lock on the signals so far. I presume I am seeing the west beam.

Zorch,

I have aTM-5200 and I can get EXPRESS AM22. The problem is 52.5E is not listed understattelite list.
Do you have any idea how I can get YAHSAT 52.E from London?

Many thanks

Hi arianlegend,

For reception of Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E in the UK you need a 1.2m~1.5m dish... however a 1.5m~1.8m would be more appropriate to allow for rain fade... and you will also need a HD receiver as nearly all of the transponders on this satellite use DVB-S2 QPSK transmission signals for HD channels (see link below) and you will only be able to receive the Ku West Beam transponders/frequencies with this size dish...

FlySat Yahsat-1A @ 52.5° East

You state that you have a TM 5200 receiver... unfortunately that's not a HD receiver it's only an SD receiver... however there is one transponder/frequency on Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E that still uses DVB-S QPSK transmission signals... so if you have a big enough dish to receive the signal and want to add this satellite position to your receiver... just follow the instructions below...

Adding a new satellite position TM 5402 HD
(should apply to other Technomate models also)

First move your dish to Express AM22 at 53.0°E as this is the closest satellite to Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E

Press 'Menu'
'Installation'
Press 'OK'
'Satellite Setup'
Press 'OK'
'Satellite'
Press 'OK'
Drop-down box appears
Scroll down to an empty (0.0E) satellite position
Press 'OK'
Press 'Green'
Use 'on-screen keyboard' to name new satellite position 'Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E'
Press 'Exit'
Press 'Yellow' to save new satellite position
Press 'Exit'
Scroll down to 'Advanced Search'
Enter frequency 12.168/symbol rate 27500/polarization H
Press 'Exit'
Scroll up to 'Motorized Setting'
Press 'OK'
Scroll down to 'DiSEqC Motor'
Press 'OK'
Drop-down box appears
Select 'USALS'
Scroll down to 'Sat Degree'
Enter 052.5° E
Press 'Exit'
Select 'Yes' to 'Settings were changed - Do you want to save?'
Go back into 'Motorized Setting'
Change 'USALS' setting back to 'DiSEqC Motor 1.2'
Go down to 'Move Fine'
Use 'Volume' controls (◄) and (►) to locate the new frequency/satellite
Slowly move your dish to the 'West'

***On my set-up the 'Volume' (►) moves the dish to the 'West'*** (yours may be different)

When you have located the frequency/satellite (at it's strongest signal readings) scroll down to 'Save' and press 'OK'... select 'Yes' to 'Settings were changed - Do you want to save?'

Press the 'Red' button (box appears) press 'OK'... the channels will then download from the frequency and the receiver will automatically exit all menus...

NB
Unfortunately... the only way to move the new satellite position 'Yahsat 1A at 52.5°E' to it's correct position within your satellite list is to use an editor program... I use NDFEdit 1.69 (download link below)

NDFEdit 1.69 - Downloads - DigitalWorldz Technology Forum - Satellite, television, consoles, community

Moving a new satellite position using NDFEdit 1.69

Simply save a new .CNDF file to your USB flash drive... open the .CNDF file in NDFEdit 1.69... locate your new satellite position (you want to move) in the list... click on/hold down 'left-click' and drag the new satellite position to it's correct position in the list... alternatively you can click 'Satellite' on the toolbar and select 'Sort by Degree' from the drop-down box... then click 'File' on the toolbar and select 'Save' from the drop-down box...

Exit the Editor and then re-load the updated .CNDF file to your receiver...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Back