xp usb install fujitsu-siemens; dont seem to be able to boot off usb key

jaymar14

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been given an old fujitsu siemens laptop running xp its in good condition apart from the OS and disc drive. the bloke i got it off also gave me a usb with xp iso on it that he'd been given to by a shop and i was hoping that'd allow me to boot the laptop from the usb and run the xp installation image and use the key on the back to reinstall. yet... when i put the usb in it doesn't read it, unless i do it from within the operating system that is very unstable. i went into the boot menu in the bios and it didnt list usb option, except the internal hdd, floppy drive and cd-rom.

Older laptop bios's don't tent to boot from usb, and with your machine still having a floppy drive I would suggest it quite old, as most don't have floppies anymore.
The only thing I can think of is looking for bios update to see if they have included usb boot support. If not You're looking at a fresh install from xp cd.

If you have Windows XP on a disc try a USB CD Drive, or have a look on ebay for a replacement CD Rom Drive - they should only be between £10 - £20

Older laptop bios's don't tent to boot from usb, and with your machine still having a floppy drive I would suggest it quite old, as most don't have floppies anymore.
The only thing I can think of is looking for bios update to see if they have included usb boot support. If not You're looking at a fresh install from xp cd.

thanks for your reply and apologies for the lateness. Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head there. Ive got an external usb powered drive i can try, hopefully it'll work because im not too confident on bios related stuff.
thanks

Back