Why is it so difficult to install a line in an Eagle receiver?

I now give up completely, after getting it to work with a line I decided to try the Jade image (which I did not like) I did a factory reset and reinstalled the image I had been using. Went through the setup like a pro forgetting nothing and now after another two hours NOTHING.
That is it for me, my Spiderbox 9000 combo and my HDX4 BOTH work on the same line the Eagle does so thats not the problem.
I have checked, double checked, triple checked every step of the installation. I can read the line details in var/etc fine.
One last question then it's back in the box and on Ebay, does the Jade image "do something" to the receiver preventing the full re-installation of other images?
Yes I know I'm grasping at straws but thats all I can think of to explain my Eagle's not working.
P.S. I have done a factory reset before the re install but that did not alter things either.

No the Jade image does not do anything to the image jimi,
did you try doing it the telnet way as this will completely erase the existing image first,although if that goes wrong then you would need dream-up and a null modem cable :)

No the Jade image does not do anything to the image jimi,
did you try doing it the telnet way as this will completely erase the existing image first,although if that goes wrong then you would need dream-up and a null modem cable :)

Oh believe me I'm used to Dreamup I must have used it 10 times in the last two days.
I will try using telnet and see what happens, as the postman has just delivered a new S10 I will get that tested first to allow my blood pressure to drop a bit before going back to the eagle.
This really will be my last attempt with this type of receiver the aggravation simply is not worth it.
Sorry to all you guys that have your receivers working but please remember mine was yesterday.

once you get it going again use this to back up
Telnet to the box and paste the following command:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
ftp to the box and navigate to the /tmp
Here you will find the backup.img file.

Thanks for the help guys I will go back to the eagle in a couple of hours but in truth I doubt this type of receiver offers many advantages over others.
I have just installed the S10 and in 5 minutes I have my line working.
No fuss no hassle, no endless hours of wanting to throw it out the window.
Again as the title of the thread says "why is it so difficult".

Thanks for the help guys I will go back to the eagle in a couple of hours but in truth I doubt this type of receiver offers many advantages over others.
I have just installed the S10 and in 5 minutes I have my line working.
No fuss no hassle, no endless hours of wanting to throw it out the window.
Again as the title of the thread says "why is it so difficult".

jimi trust me its not that difficult m8 its just you are not yet up to speed with them yet,

when I first started it took me days to get up and running and over the years I have managed to get it down to about 10 mins probably less if I tried,

if I had a new S10 here in front of me it would probably take me 10 mins just to put the batteries in the remote lol

Keep the faith and you know where we are ;)

Thanks Unison and wiz569, I will have another go but again in less than 10 minutes I can get a Spiderbox 9000/7000/5000/TM5402/HDX4/Openbox S10 running without ANY problems AT all. Why this, to my mind unnecessary complication? well I never will understand or accept the need for it.
I will get the Eagle running but I will then list it on Ebay and happily wave it good bye, for me this type of receiver is simply frustration in a box.

Ok time to own up, I found the problem and it was my old friend ME again.
Yesterday I had it working today NO GO. After installing time after time without any success I went back to the old image and installed that and that also did not work.
I tried this, I tried that, I blamed everything except me and there was my problem.
Had I looked closely at what I was doing I would have seen I had two files on my desktop, the correct one CCcam.cfg AND the original CCcam.txt.
Can anyone guess which one I was flashing? (Note no prizes for guessing which one).
Still life is learning, whats a few more grey hairs anyway.

What can I say? well first thanks to everyone who tried to help and your advice was valid I'm sure, second these last two days have been a real pain and had I paid more attention then I would have got there sooner but I didn't so have paid the price for my mistake.

Ok one last question what is the BEST image for these receivers, I tried the Commander image but it locked up my receiver.
I do prefer nice graphics but ease of use is more important.

It's a matter of personal preference ... sometimes the best image dosen't always work best on your box not what you want to here but its a case of trying a few different images

No point any longer, it was working well but after scanning a few satellites all it does now is flash on/off the start up screen.
Two day is enough, it ends now.

Must not laugh ....
Must not laugh ....

ah feck it lololololol

Sorry m8 couldnt resist :proud:

Listen everybody probably likes a different image,I like the OpenPli images but its a personal thing,

but once you have an image up and running make sure to do a complete backup first before flashing any images,this way when you flash back it will have all your important settings ,including your CCcam.txt oops CCcam.cfg file :).

Must not laugh ....
Must not laugh ....

ah feck it lololololol

Sorry m8 couldnt resist :proud:

Listen everybody probably likes a different image,I like the OpenPli images but its a personal thing,

but once you have an image up and running make sure to do a complete backup first before flashing any images,this way when you flash back it will have all your important settings ,including your CCcam.txt oops CCcam.cfg file :).

No thank you, there are far easier ways of getting a receiver installed with a line, these Eagle/DM500 are simply NOT the way to go.
I have four other receivers all with a line in and running, I simply dont need the aggravation of this type of receiver.
I have used Dreamup (again) to install an image and come Friday it goes on Ebay.
Thanks for all the help

I have used Dreamup (again) to install an image and come Friday it goes on Ebay.
Thanks for all the help

When using Dreamup if you know the ip of the box your flashing and have it networked then you can use that at the same time through dreamup,it cuts the flashing time way down,

anyway cant say you didn't try jimi :)

dont give up @jimi!!, i/we know its frustrating but if you keep practising flashing your box and adding cams/cfg files and skins it will become second nature. as ive said before theres nothing like a linux reciever to make you relise, "im not as good as i thought i was". regards mdt. p.s. this is the image i use on my protek unixbox.

dont give up @jimi!!, i/we know its frustrating but if you keep practising flashing your box and adding cams/cfg files and skins it will become second nature. as ive said before theres nothing like a linux reciever to make you relise, "im not as good as i thought i was". regards mdt. p.s. this is the image i use on my protek unixbox.

Thanks m.d.t. I'm happy that the original problem was mine, but after scanning five satellites it went into a flashing start up screen. I have reflashed the receiver and it's working again with my line BUT clearly there is a problem with the stability of this type of receiver.
Thats why I have decided me to sell the unit, this is a pity as I was about to buy the HD version as I like the external power supply idea for two reasons, it reduces the temperature rise inside the receiver increasing the life span of the unit, secondly it's easy to swap and try a new one if the receiver ever fails.

I will hang on to it for now and try the new image you have sent me but in the long run I'm not happy with these.

dream boxes are a hobby jimi takes all the fun out of it..... when it gets to 10 mins to set up

dream boxes are a hobby jimi takes all the fun out of it..... when it gets to 10 mins to set up

This is a valid point of view and yes I enjoy "mucking about" with new receivers, but once the software is installed I prefer to look for new channels and whats in new software rather than having to maintain the receiver in a working condition.

I would say that music is my first hobby and receivers second.

Back