We bought our house for a quid! Family of four buy 'dream' home for a pound

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Until the feckers do it up and then rent it out to the local natives. :(

Despite what the paper says there are usually conditions attached, like having to live there for 5 years. In any case, the Local Authority can no longer afford regeneration costs so what's better, create micro-projects like this or leave them standing empty and deteriorating?

Despite what the paper says there are usually conditions attached, like having to live there for 5 years. In any case, the Local Authority can no longer afford regeneration costs so what's better, create micro-projects like this or leave them standing empty and deteriorating?

Leave them standing and deteriorating is a good idea, but what will they do about those poor houses?. :)

Stop it Miggy!

You really do fret too much. Enjoy your life, it's not very long.: lisa :

:pool:

Last edited:
This is the case here too. The local daily paper is reporting that it'll take 6 months and around £40k to bring up to a habitable standard: First family to buy a home in Liverpool for £1 get a look inside the property - Liverpool Echo

There are no properties showing for sale in the road, but Zoopla estimates a value around £57,000. New builds a road over are up for for £99,000

If it is the Coucil selling them, WHY ???
The Council should be doing them up and using them as part of their social housing stock, instead of paying for over priced, poorly maintained private rentals that they use for "emergency housing."
In my mind it is a disgraceful waste of the Councils Assets.

If it is the Coucil selling them, WHY ???
The Council should be doing them up and using them as part of their social housing stock, instead of paying for over priced, poorly maintained private rentals that they use for "emergency housing."
In my mind it is a disgraceful waste of the Councils Assets.

It is an opportunity for every Tom,Dick and Harry to buy a property for a pound do it up and in 5 years time sell them for a vast profit. As you state why is the Council not getting involved they could tart it up with there never ending supply of magnolia paint and rent it out again surely.

the council employ staff on a yearly wage ? get them off there arse and do them up , wots the point if the council cant repair and re rent ? what next , my council house roofs leaking and council say sod it you can have the place lol

the council employ staff on a yearly wage ? get them off there arse and do them up , wots the point if the council cant repair and re rent ? what next , my council house roofs leaking and council say sod it you can have the place lol

In the majority of areas, this included, we need to get to a position where people take more responsibility rather than expecting someone else to do it for them. This gives people the opportunity and, at the same time, makes use of solid housing stock the Local Authority have NOT got the money to fix.

Of course, you could accept an increase in your Council Tax to enable another way? Hands up everyone who wants to pay more tax...

Without stirring the Pot a little more lol ;)

Developing is stressful, if he spends 40k to earn 15k after 5 years lol... (that is just reading into the posts here).

I am not sure who gets the deal here!!!

Also they will be be taking an eyesore out of the community, live and let live!

Without stirring the Pot a little more lol ;)

Developing is stressful, if he spends 40k to earn 15k after 5 years lol... (that is just reading into the posts here).

I am not sure who gets the deal here!!!

Also they will be be taking an eyesore out of the community, live and let live!

If you could get the local scally's to bring the boiler and all the copper pipe back for a small fee of course :whistle: that should save a few quid @Mick ;). If the Council stopped throwing money away on ridiculous ideas like throwing people out of there own homes because the brood next door need to knock through and own both of them, then there should be plenty of money left in the pot to invest in this project, to do them up, and rent them out. Speculate to accumulate Mick. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could get the local scally's to bring the boiler and all the copper pipe back for a small fee of course :whistle: that should save a few quid @Mick ;). If the Council stopped throwing money away on ridiculous ideas like throwing people out of there own homes because the brood next door need to knock through and own both of them, then there should be plenty of money left in the pot to invest in this project, to do them up, and rent them out. Speculate to accumulate Mick. :)

I think it depends on where you read your news, propaganda exists to serve :), but as you have mentioned there is no smoke without fire.

Also generalising does not help these posts, it makes us look narrow minded. When we are bright colourful characters full of life and vibrance.

Peace and love @miggy a mate lol

Mick

Sent on the go!

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you read your news, propaganda exists to serve :), but as you have mentioned there is no smoke without fire.

Also generalising does not help these posts, it makes us look narrow minded. When we are bright colourful characters full of life and vibrance.

Peace and love @miggy a mate lol

Mick

Sent on the go!

There may not be smoke without fire but the propagandists are very good at getting a lot of smoke from very small fires and building nice big chimneys to hide the fires they don't want us to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
There may not be smoke without fire but the propagandists are very good at getting a lot of smoke from very small fires and building nice big chimneys to hide the fires they don't want us to see.

I like that analogy hamba lol

Must remember it for future use :)

I was never quite brave enough to actually kiss the stone myself, even though i did climb to the top lol

Lol, me too. I chickened out when I saw what was involved. :Laugh:

I like that analogy hamba lol

Same here, but I don't accept the original saying either. Besides being a lazy old morally indefensible cliche, it's also factually incorrect.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of science should know this.

Back