virgin media super hub 3

yelnats

Member ++
Reaction score
Is there any way that the super hub speed can be increased

You will find the speed is quicker using a lan cable than wireless on the hub3.
well it is on mine. I think I get about 85 mb using wireless and 125 mb using lan.

You will find the speed is quicker using a lan cable than wireless on the hub3.
well it is on mine. I think I get about 85 mb using wireless and 125 mb using lan.
Is there much difference using 5ghz wireless compared to 2.4ghz? :)

Is there much difference using 5ghz wireless compared to 2.4ghz? :)
I have never set my hub to 5 ghz, I believe it's faster but has a shorter range. To be honest I'm happy enough with the wireless speed I get. If he wants too play around with the hub settings he could try changing the wireless channel or try 5ghz. Or ring up Virmin and see if he can blag a newer hub.

So witch reply did fix your issuers ? as your post never give much information about the problem :)

5Ghz is better in terms of channels used but has a smaller coverage

Problem with 2.4 Ghz is the floor noise in another words other devices that share the 2.4 Ghz spectrum - The noise floor is simply erroneous background transmissions that are emitted from either other devices - example of this

Bluetooth.
Microwave oven.
Baby monitors
AV Devices
Wireless Microphones
Wireless Speakers
Radio-controlled Models
Garage doors
security cameras

In theory 5Ghz gives you more bandwidth

Peculiar this, I've got a Super Hub 3(SH3), seldom have an issue with it, 250MB. This week I Changed my mobile from Three to O2 which entitled me to a free broadband speed boost, up to 350mb. Done a few speedtests after they upgraded me but never got above 270mb (normal for 250mb BB).
Phoned them up & they've said have to send an engineer out next week as they can see from their end my SH3 won't go any faster than 250mb ?? See what the engineer says next week.
HH.

Peculiar this, I've got a Super Hub 3(SH3), seldom have an issue with it, 250MB. This week I Changed my mobile from Three to O2 which entitled me to a free broadband speed boost, up to 350mb. Done a few speedtests after they upgraded me but never got above 270mb (normal for 250mb BB).
Phoned them up & they've said have to send an engineer out next week as they can see from their end my SH3 won't go any faster than 250mb ?? See what the engineer says next week.
HH.
Took the SH3 away & fitted an SH5. All good so far, speedtest results improved greatly.
HH.

Took the SH3 away & fitted an SH5. All good so far, speedtest results improved greatly.
HH.

I'd be intersted in knowing how good the wireless range is on the sh5. I have the sh3 and it's fine in the same room and the bedroom above. but it struggles in the back upstairs rooms.

I have never set my hub to 5 ghz, I believe it's faster but has a shorter range. To be honest I'm happy enough with the wireless speed I get. If he wants too play around with the hub settings he could try changing the wireless channel or try 5ghz. Or ring up Virmin and see if he can blag a newer hub.
I have both settings and shut 5 GHz down when connecting a 2.5 GHz device, once connected and working I enable 5ghz and vice versa

I've done it the other way SH3 modem mode to asus router. Turned off 2.4 running about 10 devices on 5ghz cctv/firesticks and cube and various tv sets. No probs and great speeds over WiFi on 250 Meg bb.... Paul

I'd be intersted in knowing how good the wireless range is on the sh5. I have the sh3 and it's fine in the same room and the bedroom above. but it struggles in the back upstairs rooms.
I think a lot depends on your house walls. With the room above it's just traveling through floorboards. I'm not sure what's in the walls in my house but i have to use powerline adaptors in any adjacent rooms to get anything worth using lol.

Unfortunately i didn't take any measurements with the SH3 before it went away mate:confused: Plus my BB's went up from 250 to 350MB (does that even affect the range:confused:). My boy did struggle occasionally (Xbox) in the room furthest away from the router I'll see what he thinks but it'll only be a subjective opinion, nothing measurable.
HH.

* as for the O.P.s question @yelnats O2 mobile contract in the house boosts yer BB up to the next level

I've done it the other way SH3 modem mode to asus router. Turned off 2.4 running about 10 devices on 5ghz cctv/firesticks and cube and various tv sets. No probs and great speeds over WiFi on 250 Meg bb.... Paul
Would not part with my Merlin Asus router.

Same as you SH3 in modem mode, its all its fit for 😆

Sorry to go slightly off topic but des anyone have pics of what hub is what?

Back