Usb port problem

Fergalsworld

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a problem with a old pc basically if you plug anything in either of the 2 onboard usb ports
i dont get the found hardware message the computer just freezes and i cant do nothing
if i leave what i have just plugged in and reboot it everything works fine be it usb printer,wireless network adaptor (internet works), memory stick,etc.
I have updated all the MB drivers and its still the same the MB is a
Giga-byte GA-6VX7-4X
Pentium 3 750MHz.
MB manual here
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-6VX7-4X

I even tried putting one of these pci usb 4in1 cards in
http://www.octigen.com/products/productdetail.asp?Id=26&A=8&B=12&C
that finds the wireless adaptor i plug but not all the time but when it does its says in wireless network connection that there is no wireless networks available even though my wireless router is in the same room ffs
Even disabled the onboard usb in the bios when trying the 4in1 but still the same.
Its doing my nut in i have been fannying about with it all day
Any ideas?
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
uSB problems can be a bollox to fix. No idea if this will help but when usb drives stop working on one of mine I allways go into computer management and assign a diffrent drive letter to it and that seems to solve it, but that may be a problem as your computer freezes. Maybe after the reboot you should assign a new drive letter, something higher than F:

May be worth a try.

try assigning a lower IRQ to your usb device. You can do this in the cmost setup or in windows device manager. If you do it in windows check for conflicts.

Have you tried uninstalling the USB controller in device manager, and then rebooting to allow the PC to find it and reinstall the drivers. This might work.

I've got a slightly similar problem with a usb card in a Dell desktop - Still have not found a remedy.

Tried all the advice and some other things but still no joy with the onboard usb freezing problem
As for the Octigen (piece of sh*t)USB 2.0 PCI Card problem
well i gave up and went and bought a belkin one from pcworld for £15 stuck it in and hey presto worked first time finds everything and no lockups
smile.gif

So i have disabled the onboard usb and gave him the pc back he is happy enough with the pci usb card with 4 ports working ok:)
Thanks everyone.

Back