TUTORIAL - CONFIGURABLE USB LOADER - EASY SETUP (fat32)

hi guys done the 222thing

choose usb mass storage device

then i get message

fat32 mount/sd
cfg base/ sd/usb-loader
loader version 50-fat
ios222 rev4 fat

mounting device please wait

counts to 30 and error
ret -1
make sure usb port is one nearest edge (which it is)

any ideas any one? thanks in advance p.s when i hit sd it says ok but no games (which there isnt) also the blue tray light comes on with usb loader is that right

Last edited:
hi guys done the 222thing

choose usb mass storage device

then i get message

fat32 mount/sd
cfg base/ sd/usb-loader
loader version 50-fat
ios222 rev4 fat

mounting device please wait

counts to 30 and error
ret -1
make sure usb port is one nearest edge (which it is)

any ideas any one? thanks in advance p.s when i hit sd it says ok but no games (which there isnt) also the blue tray light comes on with usb loader is that right
I don't know whether it's a common thing but when I first softmodded my wii and put on USB loader my drive would only work if it was formatted to fat32. I had already formatted it to wbfs but like I said only fat32 worked for me.
In your case it looks like it is looking for a fat32 drive.

i did use the tool in the tut so i presumed that it would be fat32?

any other ideas any 1?>

Just installed this today very good - thanks to Bro and DD (also needed you files to get it to work).

just done, all sorted did 51 update for covers and i'll never need to burn again hopefully

cheers to OP

just set this up on a m8's wii and he asked if i could lock some games ie manhunt, resident evil etc. my question is can this be done i've had a quick look in the global settings but cant see anything, the option of hide in the settings in greyed out and i cant access it, is there something i need to do for this to work?

just set this up on a m8's wii and he asked if i could lock some games ie manhunt, resident evil etc. my question is can this be done i've had a quick look in the global settings but cant see anything, the option of hide in the settings in greyed out and i cant access it, is there something i need to do for this to work?

The parental settings are locked by default in the later versions of the loader.
To unlock admin mode hold the 1 button down for 5 seconds and enter the default password which is BUDAH12. (B button, Up, Down, A button, Home button, 1 button, 2 button)
You will now be able to hide the games of your choice.
Hold the 1 button down again for 5 seconds to lock the settings again.

The parental settings are locked by default in the later versions of the loader.
To unlock admin mode hold the 1 button down for 5 seconds and enter the default password which is BUDAH12. (B button, Up, Down, A button, Home button, 1 button, 2 button)
You will now be able to hide the games of your choice.
Hold the 1 button down again for 5 seconds to lock the settings again.
Cheers at work till morning but i'll mail him let him know

Finally got this working, Thanks.... I was previously using neo gamma with a usb stick. I have version 50 installed and read earlier in the posts about updating it to v51. I have gone into global settings and v51 is nolonger an option it ranges from 56a alpha down to 54b3-fat beta3..... Confusing which one should I download or should I just stay on the current v50 as its working ok for me........ "If it aint broke dont fix it"

Last edited:
Finally got this working, Thanks.... I was previously using neo gamma with a usb stick. I have version 50 installed and read earlier in the posts about updating it to v51. I have gone into global settings and v51 is nolonger an option it ranges from 56a alpha down to 54b3-fat beta3..... Confusing which one should I download or should I just stay on the current v50 as its working ok for me........ "If it aint broke dont fix it"

V51 was the latest at the time of the posts but as you say 56a is the latest release but it is only an alpha release (possible bugs). The 55 release is the latest stable release. If you are using v50-fat you could update to the v55-222 release. If you are using v50 then just update to the v55 release.

Many Thanks Bro for the TUT, I haven't actually really followed it to the letter but I have used it to help understand what's going on! I'm still reading but I thought I would put my tupence worth in.

as peviously stated things move fast n v55 seems to be the current stable release so I wanted to install that straight off which sent me googling. I understand there is an update option but where's the fun in that!

I downloaded v55 and just mirrored the Extract to USB Device file structure with new files but of course the default in the downloaded zip is set to use a WBFS partition not FAT. This is the important part of a FAQ that explains what I mean.

FAQ

* What are the difference between the 222 (e.g., cfg55-222.dol) and the 249 (e.g. cfg55.dol) versions?
o
+ The first IOS that is loaded is IOS222 instead of IOS249 (this is before config.txt is read)
+ The ios option has a default of 222-mload instead of 249.
+ The partition option has a default of FAT1 instead of WBFS1.

I Woz then Interested why the 2 variants which gave me this from a FAQ

Q: Is there any advantage using FAT/NTFS rather than a WBFS partition?
A: Depends on personal preference. These are some of the points:
advantages:
- no need to repartition in case the disk is already used for other stuff
- the game files can be copied using normal file managers
- the partition space can be shared for other purposes
- better choice of file-system recovery / de-fragmentation tools
disadvantages:
- only cIOS 222/223 v4 can be used. FAT/NTFS using cIOS 249 is not supported.
- limited choice of loaders: only CFG and GX support FAT/NTFS at the moment.
- install game on NTFS is disabled at the moment because of libntfs write instabilities (install on FAT works fine)
similarities:
- loading speed should be approximately the same compared to WBFS

This then lead me to the CIOS222 issue which thanks to digi was no major issue, follow his readme n away we go. I would humbley suggest that a link to digi's download be put in the 1st post.

So I now have v55 on FAT USB HDD which I execute from the Homebrew Channel everything working sweet. I now have to understand forwarders to get it to execute from a wii channel.
Edit: It looks like Extract to SD Card Files here should work fine with v55 (Yes is Does!)

Hope this helps others understand what they are doing n why.

Thanks again bro n digi.

Last edited:
Dear All,

I have got a problem as booting Wii game after the tutorial "CONFIGURABLE USB LOADER - EASY SETUP (fat32)" has been finish and error message find- "ERROR : CIOS222 OR CIOS223 REQUIRED FOR STARTING GAMES FROM A FAT PARTITIONAL" and "SET_FRAG: -128 ERROR: setWBFS: -128".
Is that the problem of my USB HD device? Would anyone tell me more about the USB HD config ?

Thanks a lot ...

Dear All,

I have got a problem as booting Wii game after the tutorial "CONFIGURABLE USB LOADER - EASY SETUP (fat32)" has been finish and error message find- "ERROR : CIOS222 OR CIOS223 REQUIRED FOR STARTING GAMES FROM A FAT PARTITIONAL" and "SET_FRAG: -128 ERROR: setWBFS: -128".
Is that the problem of my USB HD device? Would anyone tell me more about the USB HD config ?

Thanks a lot ...

I have the same problem now and mine was working ok. I have tried to install CIOS222 and 223 bit its still the same. I currently have v57a of the Config USB Loader.

I was wondering if it was anything to do with the cIOS38 instarller cuz i only have v14 installed. Should i update the the latest (what is the latest?).

Strange thing is some games work ok but others dont.

Also could it be something to do with the size of WBFS folder as its on FAT partition? I have used 200gig on my hard drive.

Thanks

thanks for the info
I like to add some information about wii iso and usb
before you convert iso to wbfs format use Wiu 1.1 : Wii iso utilities program ( pc portable software) to check the iso details such as region and Dangerous update to protect your wii (Will stop semi-bricking their wii's)

download wiu 1.1 from
Deposit Files

about usb stick, I tried 3 usb stick but two of them worked
then I found following external hard drive which can hold 60 to 100 games
I put 7 games at this moment in wbfs format and its hold 12 gb of space
Buy Seagate 250GB Portable Hard Drive. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

codes on the box are

ST902504EXD101-RK

PN : 9SC2D2-571

Barcode Number

7 636490 013867

hard drive was in NTFS format when I bought it from shop, I used guiformat program to format in FAT32
check second page post by 'Alien Heads' to download guiformat
Check your external drive letter twice before click format

I hope this post help someone

I've just ordered my HDD for setting this up. While I'm waiting on delivery, I'd thought I check a couple of things...

Can I partition the drive off and only use half (for example) for the Wii, and half for just extra data/video storage? (Don't see why not, so long as Wii gear is first partition?)

And what is the latest releases, and have things changed much from the very handy OP guide?

Thanks.

you can use fat32 format for wii games just make a folder called wbfs and all the games go in there and configurable usbloader fat32 will only read that folder while your computer or whatever will see all files/ folders on the drive

edogg

Thanks, found the tutorial very simple and straight forward, :Clap:

Hey all. Been trying to get this working on my wii for a while now, and keep running into a HD issue. Used several drives, and even had it working for a few hours, but then never again. Tried many combinations of cIOS, loader, format, and hard drive to no avail.

Recap:
Bought a new 1TB WD Elements drive (as advised by the compatability list), and used the guiformat.exe tool to format it to FAT32 (that took a while). Reinstalled cIOS 222 and 223 just as digidude outlined, and used his download for cfg USB loader, including installing the WAD. Set up cfg to use 222 and load from fat1, and used Wii Backup Manager to put two games on just as he described. Here's what comes up:

cfg said:
Select WBFS Device: <USB Mass Storage Device>
FAT32 mount: sd
CFG base: sd:/usb-loader
Loader Version: 50-fat
IOS222 (Rev 4) [FAT]

Mounting device, please wait (1-30s timeout)
ERROR (Ret=-1)

I have plugged the HDD into the right slot as viewed from the back, and have even used the same HDD to load apps through HBC. Yet, I keep getting this error. Can anybody help? Please?

Back