Travel Money...

mcgirt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be heading off on an around the world trip in November and I'm looking for some suggestions or advice on money management.

I don't want to carry large sums of money on me for obvious reasons and I'm trying to find out other options.

I'm currently thinking about taking 2 debit cards, 1 for using to take out money for daily use and 1 that I won't use unless I have to cancel the other. The reason being the bank won't be able to send me another card out should they have to cancel it for suspected fraud ect. I'm also going to do the same with credit cards that I will use for bookings as I believe you get protection with credit cards should a company go bust.

I know a lot of banks have a withdrawal charge so I'm going to find the ones that don't (I believe nationwide is one). I've also heard about companies that work in a similar manner but don't know any names.

Anyways, put simply do you guys have any tips, advice or care to share your own experiences?

I should add I’ll have someone in the UK who’ll have access to my accounts to assist with transfers between accounts or any problems that occur.

I’ll be travelling to SE Asia, Oz, New Zealand, South America & North America.

Thanks.

Update:

Just found out Nationwide have stopped the no fee withdrawal, shite!

Last edited:
You could also transfer money from one account to another yourself if you use internet banking, so if you put money on deposit in one account, only transfer a certain amount as needed into the current account online, in case your cards etc get lost.

To add, Im not sure that taking 2 x debit cards is the best way either as if something happens it will be your own money thats gone. A credit card would offer some protection against someone taking all your cash out of the debit card

Cheers for the replies, I'll check out the links.

Skinz - The debit cards won't have much money on them, I'll be doing something similar to what eva suggested. I'll transfer the money on to them from another account. I'll have credit card for bookings etc.

I found a guardian artical that mentioned a few pre-pay card so I've got them to check out to.

Here's the links for anyone who finds this thread later...

Travel Money Card - Best Exchange Rates - FairFX Currency Card
Caxton FX - Foreign exchange, Currency transfer

Thanks again.

Back