Suggested Android device please?

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Yes Im on the want again :D

Ive got a couple of old Firesticks which I use for plex, iptv, and the standard online services - they are the old generation so not even 4k. They are a bit slow in navigation etc which is understandable given their age and slowly getting filled up. What device(s) do you guys use? Im thinking expandable memory or a decent stock size given this will always be a problem as time goes on and just something that doesnt cost a fortune but does the trick - am I asking for too much :D

Thanks!

I’ve been using a Beelink gt king for the last four years and can’t fault it tbh.
I have lately been watching videos of new android box releases and they don’t seem that great tbh.
Fire cubes get good reviews but I can’t stand amazon devices because of the bloatware and advertising.
I like a decent Android box with no bloatware and that I am able to customise to my own liking.

I’ve been using a Beelink gt king
That looks the buisness to be honest @avid

I'm also on the look out for something new.
My advice... stay away from the cheap chinese t95..etc boxes on ebay.

I bought 2... due to over heating problems both have failed in less than 8 months.

That looks the buisness to be honest @avid

I'm also on the look out for something new.
My advice... stay away from the cheap chinese t95..etc boxes on ebay.

I bought 2... due to over heating problems both have failed in less than 8 months.
I’m hoping Beelink brings out a new device either this year or next with good reviews.
Then flog my gt king on fleebay. But for now the Beelink is doing everything I need it to tbh.
If you are after a device that doe’s the well known streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney in 4k then buy a device that has the official licenses.
The gt king doesn’t have these but the Nvidia shield does.
I personally don’t subscribe to any of the well-known streaming apps, and if I did, they are all installed on my TV if I need them.

Mecool km6 is fantastic, cheaper if bought direct from mecool website and delivered from China. Couple of my pals have bough them and are pleased with them.

Mecool devices are one frol the best android devices.
Also mi boxes.

I’m hoping Beelink brings out a new device either this year or next with good reviews.
Then flog my gt king on fleebay. But for now the Beelink is doing everything I need it to tbh.
If you are after a device that doe’s the well known streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney in 4k then buy a device that has the official licenses.
The gt king doesn’t have these but the Nvidia shield does.
I personally don’t subscribe to any of the well-known streaming apps, and if I did, they are all installed on my TV if I need them.
I managed to pick 1 of these up on Fleabay for £70.
Im really happy with it.
Tivimate on my Firesticks and my current android box lags when scrolling through the EPG.

Now searching through the EPG is smooth.
Updating the EPG is much faster.
I Can switch between apps, install apps fast.

And it came with a 8gb micro sd with emuElec installed on it, packed with games.

Connected my PS5 controller via Bluetooth and im in retro gaming heaven 😁

Last edited:
I managed to pick 1 of these up on Fleabay for £70.
Im really happy with it.
Tivimate on my Firesticks and my current android box lags when scrolling through the EPG.

Now searching through the EPG is smooth.
Updating the EPG is much faster.
I Can switch between apps, install apps fast.

And it came with a 8gb micro sd with emuElec installed on it, packed with games.

Connected my PS5 controller via Bluetooth and im in retro gaming heaven 😁
I forgot to mention that you can run CoreElec and emuElec on it.
Great device imo.
Been looking at this recently.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So i have come across a problem with the beelink.
Most of the VOD on my i*tv comes with just 5.1 surround sound.
Im not getting any audio, i did use audio software decoder in tivimate rather than hardware.. that did work but now its not.
Ive tried other apps but same result.
Anybody know a work round for this?

@Kryton Have you tried altering the audio settings on the GT king as there are several. In devices preferences, sound I have system sounds on.
In droid settings, audio I have audio output set to hdmi and audio effects on. I have all the different audio effects toggled on.
I don’t use the VOD on my i*tv but I have done in the past and the audio works fine. I use iMPlayer instead of Tivimate so can’t comment on that tbh.
For Syncler I use Kodi as my media player and have audio pass through set to on in Kodi, so that the 5.1 surround sound passes through my surround sound system.
I have never had any audio problems with the GT king tbh.

@Kryton Have you tried altering the audio settings on the GT king as there are several. In devices preferences, sound I have system sounds on.
In droid settings, audio I have audio output set to hdmi and audio effects on. I have all the different audio effects toggled on.
I don’t use the VOD on my i*tv but I have done in the past and the audio works fine. I use iMPlayer instead of Tivimate so can’t comment on that tbh.
For Syncler I use Kodi as my media player and have audio pass through set to on in Kodi, so that the 5.1 surround sound passes through my surround sound system.
I have never had any audio problems with the GT king tbh.
yes mate i have messed about with all the droid settings but no luck.
I've tried VLC, iMplayer , Smarters pro but all the same on the 5.1 audio.

like i said changing the audio decoder from hardware to software did originally work in tivimate, but now its just stopped for some reason.
may have to try reinstalling Tivi... but something must be missing for it to not work on the other apps...maybe a codec?

yes mate i have messed about with all the droid settings but no luck.
I've tried VLC, iMplayer , Smarters pro but all the same on the 5.1 audio.

like i said changing the audio decoder from hardware to software did originally work in tivimate, but now its just stopped for some reason.
may have to try reinstalling Tivi... but something must be missing for it to not work on the other apps...maybe a codec?
Yeah maybe a codec but as I use Kodi as my media player. Have you tried turning audio pass through on in VCL player.

Yeah maybe a codec but as I use Kodi as my media player. Have you tried turning audio pass through on in VCL player.
Audio pass through does the trick in Tivimate.. with either hardware or software decoder set.
Strange because im sure i tried this before i used the software decoder.

Oh well all working now. Cheers @avid

Been looking at this recently.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Received the Ugoos am8 this week after ordering it at the beginning of October.
Bit fiddly to setup and get the sound working as it should but all good now.
The reason I bought it was for the Dolby vision as the Beelink would not play Dolby vision content.
The Dolby vision works great and looks even better than HDR content.
Also the AM8 is running android os which I prefer over android TV os.
Also supports Av1 but probably not that important for now.

After a new android box guys as my old one is running android 9 and not duel wifi

This one any good ?

Or anyone recommend a good one

Price range tops £80

Back