Strange problem with Sky Fibre router.

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a strange problem with sky broadband router. Ive had an install about 3 weeks ago and we have a strong connections with no buffering etc but the speed I'm getting did not seem up to what I was paying for. It turns out if I connect laptop to router via ethernet cable I get 37-38mb download and this is what I pay for, but if I connect wireless I only get 20mb out. I have phoned sky and they have got through the settings and i've changedmthe channel frequency and they have even sent me a new router but its still the same. I've turned everything off thats wireless and still the same. I no you cannot use your own modem/routers on their network buy I was thinking of adding a wireless router and connecting it via ethernet port. I've linked an old sky router up to the new one and managed to get 30mb out of it. So does anyone know any cheapish good quality routers I could connect.

I have the sky fibre pro, so about 75mps download, 20mps upload and ping of 6-8 when wired.

WIFI will be 40mps of less, they use use 2.4ghz and no 5ghz.

My Tp link powerline in bedroom I get more speed from that wireless.

I just have everything wired now, via cat 7 cables and tp links so even laptop is wired.

Just think its their router.

You would have to set the Supplied Sky Broadband router into modem only mode if that is possible, as that Asus router is meant to be used with either Virgin superhubs which can be placed into Modem only mode or BT infinfity Fibre modems

You would have to set the Supplied Sky Broadband router into modem only mode if that is possible, as that Asus router is meant to be used with either Virgin superhubs which can be placed into Modem only mode or BT infinfity Fibre modems

Any ideas of any other routers that will take the 37mb feed out the ethernet port on the sky router and then allow me to fire that same speed wireless around the houise? Note I don't want the be spending loads of money on this :)

Maybe powerline adaptors with wifi

Your best bet is to extract the username and password from the router and use a 3rd party device something that has a VDSL modem built in plenty of companys make them and will have superior Wi-Fi speeds compared to Sky's own. have a look at TP-Link,Billion,Draytek,Asus etc... and find something that fits your budget.

Also worthwhile in investing in one that does Dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to extract username/password from sky router?

Are there any other settings that need changing?

Sky encrypt the information and you have to use one of the online tools to extract the information. I have also read that you cannot use a third party modem on the fibre network as it is against the t&c's.

Edit.. Looks harder than is use to be.

Last edited:
it looks like router is not configured properly. Sky is using BT lines, so they cannot change much.

Im getting the full download speed but the wirless is not passing it through.

Sky encrypt the information and you have to use one of the online tools to extract the information. I have also read that you cannot use a third party modem on the fibre network as it is against the t&c's.

Edit.. Looks harder than is use to be.

It can be done take a look:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

This also worked on Fibre connections read the thread

you can get your sky username and password using wireshark.
I've got a TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC 1900 router. the updated software even has a sky fibre seeing so you just put your details in and all other settings are automatic.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Back