Some Comments from the BBC website

Ibrox

Inactive User
Reaction score
The 1st and last post are interesting ones to me on how these guys in the front line and should know what they are talkning about both say the cuts to Police forces are already causing problems and in the future will remain that way if the cuts are to continue.
How come Cameron cannot see this as well ? wonder if they had a petition signed by 100'000 saying the police cuts must stop what would he do ?.
This is why this country is in the sorry state it's in politicians claim to be the voices of the people which is a load of bollox or they would listen to the people like these Policemen on the front lines.

Anonymous

texts: I work as a member of police staff. Due to the current staff cuts, thousands of police staff are losing their jobs which are being filled by police officers who are in turn being taken off the streets. Mr Cameron needs to wake up because things could get worse as more police officers are taken off the streets

Gavin in London

emails: I'd love to know what is the point of arresting these looters and vandals and processing them through the courts when most get off with non-custodial sentences, cautions or small fines? It's a complete waste of time and of taxpayers money. If we aren't going to punish these people appropriately, irrespective of age, then we aren't going to see any improvement in their behaviour. At least give them large community service orders to make them clean up the damage they have caused.

Maggi Cook in Ashford, Kent

emails: Working with Young Offenders I know only too well at grass roots level how many of these youngsters get into trouble. On the whole they do not grow up in what most of us call a "normal" environment.

Jean in London

emails: Don't lay all the blame on gangs and youth culture. Plenty of so-called professionals got involved in the free-for-all. The deeper causes lie in our greedy materialistic society, and nothing will be improved by demonising the kids.

Radek in London

emails: On behalf of all the Polish builders working in London I would like to thank the rioters for creating so much work for restoration of the damages. Thanks to you, the children in Poland will have amazing Christmas!

Stephen in Wallsend

emails: If mobile networks are closed down those innocent people caught up in the trouble will be unable to communicate to get assistance or even assist the police in resolving issues. Closing off mobile networks is not the solution it will just add to the confusion and isolate innocent people during events like we've had this week.

Stacey in Canterbury

emails: I agree with Claire from London, part of the punishment for people charged should be to learn what impact their actions had on their community. Make them rebuild local shops, clean up their streets and rebuild the homes of those they destroyed. Perhaps then they will feel remorse for what damage they have caused to this society.

Nick in Sheffield

texts: I suggest those responsible with causing criminal damage and fear within communities should be enlisted to serve six months in Afghanistan. I'm sure such a prospect would deter the majority from taking part in such mindless acts.

David in Purley, Croydon

texts: In answer to Nick from Sheffield, why do you think the army would want these useless louts? Lock these criminals up - they are a danger to the public.

Claire in London

texts: I think everyone arrested should be charged with incitement; their presence suggests a form of this. Everyone arrested should be tagged for a significant time and made to work at rebuiding the communities they have destroyed.

Anonymous

texts: What does Cameron expect when his government is repressing the people. Because of his cuts our young have no hope, no jobs, no decent housing, no prospects. This is not the end to the rioters because the government refuses to admit they are at fault keeping the people down.

Beth in Reading

texts: The riots are an embarrassment to our country but also a wake up call. Does this mean the PM will start putting a full focus in this country now, rather than helping other countries out? There are many factors as to why the riots happened and it needs a plan put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again. Remove benefits from those convicted. If you have to remove their council housing, put in place a system that ensures they will not be homeless.

Carol in London

emails: Cameron is adamant and resistent to any suggestions, appeals to reconsider the proposed cuts to the police budget. I would like to propose that the MPs take a 6% cut to their salaries in order to save money and then live within their means. What planet is the coalition party on!!!

David in Aberdeen

texts: Rioters on dole get 80% of rent paid? Moving them from cheap social housing to expensive private lets will increase burden on the taxpayer.

Dan in Oxford

texts: The riots weren't the product of gangs. It was a collective of youths who are led to believe that gang culture is a righteous way of life. These individuals don't belong to gangs, but aspire to be!

Jon in Reading

texts: When did we arrive at a society where honest, law-abiding adults are afraid on a daily basis of a minority of children and teenagers who are disrespectful, aggressive and lawless? This is not just during the recent riots, but in our daily lives and local communities at bus stops, in parks and on street corners. This would have been unthinkable a generation ago.

Colin Moran in London

emails: I am intrigued to know if David Cameron would still hug a hoodie.

David in South Wales

texts: Sadly the prime minister is missing many key points. He is very good on reactive measures but lacks any substance at all on seeking to be proactive in addressing the real issues.

Jennifer Daisy

tweets: Only in England can youths organise riots on Blackberry phones worth hundreds of £s while claiming to be poverty-stricken.

Wayne in Sheffield

Tough sentences for rioters and looters? I'll believe it when I see it. They need to throw the book at them and make a clear example of what happens if you act like an animal.

An acting police officer

texts: Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg are living in fantasy land if they think Police cuts will have no effect on visible Police presence. As an acting Police Officer I can honestly say that the cuts are already affecting visible Police presence.

are you suggesting that the police let riots and looting escalate to safe guard their jobs ?

are you suggesting that the police let riots and looting escalate to safe guard their jobs ?

I'm not sure i understand where you think i am suggesting what you said ? where do i suggest that in the post ?

I'm saying why does everyone and his dog know that cutting police services and manpower is not a viable option when it comes to cutting various services, the Police cannot keep law and order on the streets as it so cutting Police numbers is a strange way to try and deal with future issues not just with rioting but for future policing of the streets, i simply cannot see how doing this is going to maintain future law and order and make the public feel secure.

The 1st and last comment on the thread i posted are from police officers on the front lines so i think they should be listend to as they should know what they are on about as they are in the firing lines. So why does Cameron and the tories not see this as well ? call me cynical but it may have something to do with where they stay lawlessness is'nt really an issue for them so cutting police numbers does'nt really affect them but thats just the cynic in me.

So i fail to see where you think i suggest the police let the riots and looting escalate to safeguard there jobs !

it was just confirmed on the radio by the police federation and parliment, there is no suggestion these riots reached this level due to cuts, it was down to management of resources - this was relayed back from cheif constables of the forces involved.

it was just confirmed on the radio by the police federation and parliment, there is no suggestion these riots reached this level due to cuts, it was down to management of resources - this was relayed back from cheif constables of the forces involved.

I don't think you would expect anything else from the Police federation or the Government saying that as admitting that resources are stretched would only confirm what the 2 police officers on the thread say and would lead to more public scrutiny of the proposed cuts.
So i tend to remain a bit sceptical when i see such quotes coming from the powers that be that everything is ticketyboo and hunky dory.

I would just like to add as well i think when rioting kicks off there is very little the police can do as it does take a certain time do mobilise the neccesary means to try and deal with this but what can maybe be scrutinised is the length of time in days and nights that it took to look like it was under a bit of control not an easy task for the Police but talks of cutting police resources surely cannot be viewed as the right thing to do when the majority of people feel that the streets are not a safe place to be.
Also does all this mean that when all police leave is cancelled these are the figures they are taking ? not fair on the police involved if they cannot take a holiday or time off seems to me that would just look like resources are indeed thin on the ground when they cancel holidays and time off.

Back