snr, agc, ber readings

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio - which means signal quality
AGC = Automatic Gain Control - which means signal strength
BER = Bit Error Rate - which shows the error rate of the signal.

Quick question I'm new to this, I'm using my sly mini dish which is over 10 years old. Ive had freezing problems, black screens and most music channels are partly scrambled as the BER is in its 1000s on the music, Irish channels. Most other channels are fine.

My SNR IS 89-96%
AGC IS 90% +
BER IS 0

I take it the AGC is to high? What would make it so high?

Thanks

i got a raven 60cm dish with quad lnb(£28 delivered with 25m twin cable) and it improved my signal strength by around 15%. Put one up for my m8 also and the discovery channels that were hit and misson his dm500 all work fine now.

as long as the BER is as close to 'zero' as possible, the other 2 will be ok

as long as the BER is as close to 'zero' as possible, the other 2 will be ok

On my STB, SNR is around 90%, BER is 0%, however when watching BBC, or BBC2 AGC is 2%. If I change to Ch4 or Ch5 AGC is around 90%.
Can anyone please explain. Do I need to get my dish aligned or something? I DO get some picture breakup on BBC channels.
Rgds
Phil

sounds like your LNB may be on its way out, another possibility (and more probable if its a dreambox type receiver with an external power supply) is that the PSU is failing, and no longer able to supply 18V to the LNB for the high band channels

Last edited:
sounds like your LNB may be on its way out, another possibility (and more probable if its a dreambox type receiver with an external power supply) is that the PSU is failing, and no longer able to supply 18V to the LNB for the high band channels
Thx for the reply. Do you mean the PSU TO the box, or the PSU WITHIN the box. Is there a way to check it. I do have a DVM.

The psu only supplies 12v and the lnb voltages are stepped up inside the receiver. If the psu is failing it will no longer be able to supply 12v when attached to a load and therefore all other voltage rails will suffer as a consequence.

You possibly have a 12v supply for something else that you can try. If not then take the lid off, follow the 12v path and measure to see if there is a sizeable drop.

Back