UK News Smoking age should rise from 18, by one year every year - PM

joe516

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The age at which people can buy cigarettes and tobacco in England should rise by one year every year so that eventually no-one can buy them, the prime minister says.
Rishi Sunak said MPs were to be given a free vote in parliament on the issue.
Under the plan, the age of sale would rise from 18 every year so a child aged 14 today would never be allowed to buy tobacco.
The idea was put forward by a government-commissioned review in 2022.
Speaking at the Conservative party conference, Mr Sunak said he believed it was the right step to tackle the leading cause of preventable ill-health.
Smoking increases the risk of strokes, heart disease, dementia and stillbirth as well as causing one in four deaths from cancer.
Smoking age should rise from 18, by one year every year - PM

While tobacco is grown and cigarettes are produced then people will find a way to obtain them, the ridiculously high cost of them in the UK has only curtailed a few people.
I only gave up about 4 months ago after being told I had to give up by my Heart Consultant or else my treatment would be compromised.
I had smoked since I was about 12 or 13 and I'm now 66, I sometimes feel like I could kill for a few drags, but it passes and I feel quite proud of myself for resisting.
My Heart Consultant reckons that in a few years time there will be an explosion of people with lung complaints caused by Vaping which is causing lungs to become like a sponge and so causing breathing and heart problems, his opinion is that Vaping is more dangerous than smoking tobacco.

Won't make much difference that. School kids can get easy access now so why bother???.

My Heart Consultant reckons that in a few years time there will be an explosion of people with lung complaints caused by Vaping which is causing lungs to become like a sponge and so causing breathing and heart problems, his opinion is that Vaping is more dangerous than smoking tobacco.

True. They should ban Vaping completely before they even think about fags.

I hate cigarette smoke, but that horrible sickly sweet Vape smell makes me feel nauseous. 🤢

While tobacco is grown and cigarettes are produced then people will find a way to obtain them, the ridiculously high cost of them in the UK has only curtailed a few people.
I only gave up about 4 months ago after being told I had to give up by my Heart Consultant or else my treatment would be compromised.
I had smoked since I was about 12 or 13 and I'm now 66, I sometimes feel like I could kill for a few drags, but it passes and I feel quite proud of myself for resisting.
Never start vaping, says 12-year-old girl with lung damage

Firstly to D 8 RCS well done m8 hat goes off to you cause it aint easy I know.

I packed up 20 year ago after smoking from a kid and I packed in when smoking in pubs was still in so it was the worse of the worse. I was lucky I had a good GP and I went in with a chest infection after coming back from Benidorm. I'd not smoked for 2 days and he said do you wanna try now ? I said yeah. I should have gone on a course first to get the patches but he said be quite here goes go get the patches. A bad chest, will power and the patches I never smoked again so the Doc caught me at the right time and he knew. If I had of waited to get on the course he would have missed the boat.

I just do not know how people can legally afford to smoke, £12:50 a pack say there's 2 of you and you do 40 a day each £50 a day £350 a week nearly £17k a year that alone would put me off as I'm at tight as a submarine door

It was money that got me13 years ago, went from 60 a day to nothing (I did use the nicotine inhalers for a while). ^ months later the wife was pregnant (we were trying) which I think was also due to the fact that I gave up smoking.

Firstly to D 8 RCS well done m8 hat goes off to you cause it aint easy I know.

I packed up 20 year ago after smoking from a kid and I packed in when smoking in pubs was still in so it was the worse of the worse. I was lucky I had a good GP and I went in with a chest infection after coming back from Benidorm. I'd not smoked for 2 days and he said do you wanna try now ? I said yeah. I should have gone on a course first to get the patches but he said be quite here goes go get the patches. A bad chest, will power and the patches I never smoked again so the Doc caught me at the right time and he knew. If I had of waited to get on the course he would have missed the boat.

I just do not know how people can legally afford to smoke, £12:50 a pack say there's 2 of you and you do 40 a day each £50 a day £350 a week nearly £17k a year that alone would put me off as I'm at tight as a submarine door
Silverdale, it's the cheapo fags that are £12.50, the likes of B&H are well over £15.00 a pack.
I had tried patches and an inhaler in the past and decided not to go that route as it was only replacing one way of getting the nicotine hit with another method, so just put up with the pangs and went for it. Had to pack in alcohol at the same time, not a big drinker anyhow but really miss some red wine with a meal and the occasional lager while watching the footie !
If things all come right then I'll ask the consultant if a little libation will be alright on a now and again basis but the fags I am adamant that I will not start again.

There's no denying it ain't easy but you've got there so well done and to anyone who does manage to do it. I put alot of it down to habit, brew in a morn, cig, leaving door get bus work, cig, out for a pint, cig, after food, cig.

Once you break those cycles it's a tab easier but I truly believe you have to want to pack in. If your told to pack in and deep down your kinda not sure as you enjoy it then I'm afraid you will fail time after time.
It's a toughy a real toughy but once you get a couple of month behind you your fine. As for your condition I don't see the harm in the odd glass of red, I think a greasy fry up would be more harmful.

One more thing, how the hell do under 18's start smoking these days anyway? how can they afford it ?. In my day they were cheap as chips but now £25-£30 a day if your on 40.

I cannot imagine paying £200 a week to smoke

Back