Skybox Mini Solo firmware screwed

pathere

Member +
Reaction score
I have a Skybox Mini Solo. It was working fine, but looking at the website given for support, Welcome to the Frontpage
Downloaded a "secret chip update" and since running it the box does not give a display on power up or respond to
the network interface.

as instructed I ran the program to load UPFLASH120227.bin

Then Erase126.exe

Then the file secret SOLO-120229.bin

Switching off and on as instructed. This all seemed to have worked. (I've done it again to be sure)

Although the receiver seems to flash firmware normally from a USB stick and it ends with a flashing green light, it does not run any more.

Suggestions most welcome !

I have a Skybox Mini Solo. It was working fine, but looking at the website given for support, Welcome to the Frontpage
Downloaded a "secret chip update" and since running it the box does not give a display on power up or respond to
the network interface.

as instructed I ran the program to load UPFLASH120227.bin

Then Erase126.exe

Then the file secret SOLO-120229.bin

Switching off and on as instructed. This all seemed to have worked. (I've done it again to be sure)

Although the receiver seems to flash firmware normally from a USB stick and it ends with a flashing green light, it does not run any more.

Suggestions most welcome !

Try a V2 Ferrari image first as these are usually compatible with most solo clones then try a V3 , tell us you have any look loading either of those version it will give us clues as to what you have.

There was no sticker on the bottom, which is why I applied the 'upgrade' which seems to have been a mistake !

Will try the Ferrari image, the box seems to flash OK but does not run. It was running Blackhole and OpenPLI
nicely before.

OK downloaded the Clone fix stuff and ran it. It seems the same as the original thing I ran that screwed the box.

The box does flash images. I downloaded the Ferrari image, it goes through all the motions of light changes but I end up with no display

Seems to be a lot of that happening, got an ibox doing the exact same, tried loads of images right back to a patched Vix from last june.

The reason would seem to be that the 'secret chip upgrade' on the site and mentioned above as a fix is for V1 -> V2
Now what I had was actually a V3. With a bit of digging I found the correct file to fix it and my box is now working fine.

I put the procedure together in a .zip and mailed it to Ferret and also tried to upload it to the files section in the hope it
helped someone else in the same position. I also posted this message on another board where I was told to put my box
in the bin !! Not very helpful.

Instead I put the BIN namely vu_2ver_22m_130110_sec_isp.bin into the box using renewaes.exe, result, working box.

Google the above filename and you will find it and all about why it works.

The reason would seem to be that the 'secret chip upgrade' on the site and mentioned above as a fix is for V1 -> V2
Now what I had was actually a V3. With a bit of digging I found the correct file to fix it and my box is now working fine.

I put the procedure together in a .zip and mailed it to Ferret and also tried to upload it to the files section in the hope it
helped someone else in the same position. I also posted this message on another board where I was told to put my box
in the bin !! Not very helpful.

Instead I put the BIN namely vu_2ver_22m_130110_sec_isp.bin into the box using renewaes.exe, result, working box.

Google the above filename and you will find it and all about why it works.

Yeh, ive tried that, but for some reason when i power up the ibox, it wont start the upgrade, had no problem with the setup for upgrading a vu duo.

Ill need to keep lookin, cheers.

Yeh, ive tried that, but for some reason when i power up the ibox, it wont start the upgrade, had no problem with the setup for upgrading a vu duo.

Ill need to keep lookin, cheers.

The other thing you need to run after renewaes is you boot the box with a memory stick with a file

vuplus/solo/cfe_cfe_auto.bin

works like loading an OS but faster. Ends on flashing green light

Then (at least on mine) loading the system worked.

The other thing you need to run after renewaes is you boot the box with a memory stick with a file

vuplus/solo/cfe_cfe_auto.bin

works like loading an OS but faster. Ends on flashing green light

Then (at least on mine) loading the system worked.

Just that file in the solo folder, nothing else?

But my problem is that renewaes doesnt seem to run properly.

Opens the port fine, i can load the file, but when i power the box on the progress bar doesnt move and the box 'boots' as normal.

OK, well if the progress bar does not move its not uploading. Are you using the serial cable and crossover board that came with the box (they came with mine) - I first tried using a crossover cable I had lurking around and that didn't work in the same way as yours. I think the serial connection to this box requires more 'crossover' than just the data in and out to work. You only do the second step using the USB stick AFTER you have uploaded the 'secret chip' firmware.

Postscript: That was a long time ago. My receiver has worked flawlessly since and have not tried to 'upgrade' it again. So much for they guys who told me the receiver was rubbish.

Back