saorsat reception in uk

maroon

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all, just wondering how many are receiving this in the uk?

Alas, would love to have this but understand that my hardware isn't up to the job (Technomate TM5400 standard definition). The Irish Broadcaster on Saorsat - RTE - has excellent Premier League coverage and the content on the main entertainment channels is generally good quality. RTE also tends to show surprisingly good movies - often before they are broadcast on the UK terrestrial channels.

What I've heard is that Saorsat is transmitted on the Ka band. You'll therefore need a Ka band LNB - which will set you back about £25 (plus postage). However, if I understand correctly, once you've installed your Ka band LNB, you can also receive normal Ku band transmissions from other satellites - assuming you have a motorised dish. This is because - if I understand correctly - any HD satellite receiver can convert the Ku band LNB signals into the "normal" frequency band.

As per the original poster - Maroon - I'd be very keen to hear from anyone who's set up Saorsat. In particular, I'd be keen to know if you really can get Saorsat using any HD box - together with a ka band LNB - but still get access the normal ku band transmissions.

The Irish Broadcaster on Saorsat - RTE - has excellent Premier League coverage and the content on the main entertainment channels is generally good quality. RTE also tends to show surprisingly good movies - often before they are broadcast on the UK terrestrial channels.

RTE only has premier league highlights,no live matches,it does however have some Champions league live matches,

Otherwise their programming is crap and any movies they show have already been on nearly every other possible broadcast first,

I live here and have not watched any of the RTE stations in years,apart from the Paddys day parade :)

I stand corrected! Thanks for setting me straight. Sounds like even if I could get a secondhand HD box for cheap on ebay and pay £25 for the ka band LNB, it's not worth even that modest outlay.
BTW, is the "Late late show" still going and do many people watch it now?

I stand corrected! Thanks for setting me straight. Sounds like even if I could get a secondhand HD box for cheap on ebay and pay £25 for the ka band LNB, it's not worth even that modest outlay.
BTW, is the "Late late show" still going and do many people watch it now?

Ka band LNB will not receive Ku band signals as far as I am aware,as for the Late Late show,yes its still running and as popular as ever for the older generation,which I probably fall into,but I cant stand the program tbh :)

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge - it's much appreciated.
Gosh - not only is Saorsat content lacking but the the hardware setup is a right "pain in the a**e". I now know the score thanks to your kind advice.

My rose tinted view of RTE content was due to a holiday in Carlingford (Co Louth) about 7 years ago. Carlingford and the surrounding countryside were beautiful beyond belief. But the weather was pants - torrential rain most days. The holiday cottage we were renting was equipped with a TV. Due to the poor weather, we ended up watching a lot of TV (and drinking an awful lot of beer - happy times!).

Maybe it's due to the passage of time and our tipsyness, but my memory of RTE back then was rather good. At that time, there did seem to be a lot of live football. Sad to hear that the RTE of old has gone downhill (or is it just the rose tinted glasses of a tipsy tourist on a short holiday?).

Glad to hear the Late Late is still going. Didn't get to see it on our holiday but heard it's an Irish broadcasting institution.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll give Saorsat a miss and mug up on how to get a good deal on Bein Sports.

Dave was in Carlingford.............my home village.......the big question is.........after all those beers you drank after the wonderful Irish weather.........did you find the leprechaun??? Little feeker never has his pot of gold with him when i meet him after a skin full of beer in PJ O´Hares Pub where they have the bones from the one they caught in the 1980s :proud:

Small world!
PJ O´Hares must be one of the nicest pubs in Ireland. The names now escape me, but Carlingford has many cracking places to eat. Carlingford's leprechaun was a bit evasive, but my missus (after a good session at PJ O'Hares) was convinced she saw him peering out of the doorway to the dungeon in the town gate!

I really envy you your hometown. Carlingford is a truly stunning place that showcases the very best of Irish hospitality.

There's no dual band LNBs so you'll need a circular polarity Ka band LNB and a very large dish on the west coast of the UK. Ka and Ku are very different beasts when it comes to fringe reception, last I heard someone in Bristol couldn't get it using a 2.4m CM

ah ok i will stick with my triax combo lol,another thought rte player by vpn in uk for the late late late show.

1.3 M dish on the West Wales coast and one of those LNBs in the picture bolted alongside the KU LNB on a prime focus dish.
It's not so much the dish size, it's being able receive the spot beam aimed at Eire instead of the other beam on the same frequency.
Regards

Back