VU+ Duo red led fix

Got the flashing red led on my VU+DUO, from what I have read so far the problem is to do with the C807 capacitor. If you replace the capacitor then it should fix the problem. I have never soldered anything in my life so a little nervous about doing it but will give it try at the weekend.

Best to leave it off now until fix is made. Constant switching on/off is likely to cause more damage.

Went to Maplins picked up a capacitor for 58 pence and whilst I was there picked up a soldering iron for £5.99. Removed the cover but I could not see how to disconnect the ribbon cables so gave up removing the motherboard from the box. I tried for almost an hour to unsolder the capacitor from the back of the motherbaord but it was not budging so gave up and used Ferret's method and chopped off the capacitor leaving as much of the legs. Soldered the new capacitor onto the legs of the old capacitor and made sure it was secure. Replaced everything and plugged the VU+DUO mains and much to relief it started up as normal. As someone said the box fixed by yourself under a tenner. Priceless!

Went to Maplins picked up a capacitor for 58 pence and whilst I was there picked up a soldering iron for £5.99. Removed the cover but I could not see how to disconnect the ribbon cables so gave up removing the motherboard from the box. I tried for almost an hour to unsolder the capacitor from the back of the motherbaord but it was not budging so gave up and used Ferret's method and chopped off the capacitor leaving as much of the legs. Soldered the new capacitor onto the legs of the old capacitor and made sure it was secure. Replaced everything and plugged the VU+DUO mains and much to relief it started up as normal. As someone said the box fixed by yourself under a tenner. Priceless!

Well done mate and yeah it feels great.

glad you overcame it mate

cant beat it

reminds me of the good days repairing the crap hewlett packard

always a way

I forgot to mention the polarity for the capacitor for anyone else thinking of a DIY repair. When you check the motherboard you will notice that the circle that the C807 capacitor sits in is half white and half plain. On the capacitor you will notice a minus and a plus, make sure the minus goes on the white side of the circle.

I replaced the capacitor on my box but it still has red light on the front when I boot it up
any more help please

I replaced the capacitor on my box but it still has red light on the front when I boot it up
any more help please

Could be the regulators mate small square black things above the cap lol 3 of them i think there are.

Is it a clone though ? If it is take a read of this thread from the start.

Could be the regulators mate small square black things above the cap lol 3 of them i think there are.

Is it a clone though ? If it is take a read of this thread from the start.
link me to them on maplins please
I couldn't do the flash neither as my laptop hasn't got a serial I have got a usb one but that didn't work , is there way to get usb serial working on a windows 7 x64 bit as I don't own a windows xp machine no more

link me to them on maplins please
I couldn't do the flash neither as my laptop hasn't got a serial I have got a usb one but that didn't work , is there way to get usb serial working on a windows 7 x64 bit as I don't own a windows xp machine no more

Never had to buy them mate ive fixed 3 Duo's with this issue 1 clone and 2 genuine all fixed with the Cap but im aware the regulators can also go with this fault and ive read threads of successful repairs after fitting them.Ill try dig out the component info .

If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can buy serial port cards that work in those.

Never had to buy them mate ive fixed 3 Duo's with this issue 1 clone and 2 genuine all fixed with the Cap but im aware the regulators can also go with this fault and ive read threads of successful repairs after fitting them.Ill try dig out the component info .

If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can buy serial port cards that work in those.
yeah ive fixed a duo before with cap so was disappointed when this one didn't work with it
ok please try find for me and aslo how many I would I need to replace an where on the board too

no laptop doesn't have that, I was thinking along the lines of maybe installing a virtal driver to emulate it

yeah ive fixed a duo before with cap so was disappointed when this one didn't work with it
ok please try find for me and aslo how many I would I need to replace an where on the board too

no laptop doesn't have that, I was thinking along the lines of maybe installing a virtal driver to emulate it

There are 3 from what i read they can look burned under a magnifying glass.

Back