Real MAN (and woman) Burgers

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So pretty straight forwards really, decided the other night to make my own burgers. Wasn't really anything to do with the whole Tesco et al fiasco, it was just co-incidence that I was going to do it anyway.

Serves 4-6 (depending on how big you make the burgers). If you are like me I made three of them but they were HUGE.

You will need:

• 750g Lean Steak Mince (or as preferred)
  • 10g Flat Parsley (you can get rolled but I find it easier to chop)
  • 1 Large Red Onion (if you like it stronger, change this to white)
  • 1 Egg (to bind)

You can also add in a few breadcrumbs if you want a bit of bite to it, i chose to leave these out as the egg was enough to bind.

Cooking:

Make sure you dice up the onion really small, if you're like my family they prefer not to see larger chunks.

You need to soften the onion first otherwise it will still be quite raw in the burger when the meat is cooked, so fry the finely chopped onion in some butter or a little oil until it is soft but not burnt. This will take about 5 minutes on a low/medium heat.

Mix it with the meat and and add the egg, salt and pepper and add some breadcrumbs, about a tablespoonful at first, then more if you think it needs it to bind all the ingredients together. Use your judgement and don’t worry, you can’t go far wrong.

Divide the mixture into four (or more if you’re making more) and roll them into balls. Squash the ball with the palm of your hand to make it into a burger shape, you can turn the burgers with the palms of your hand in a circular motion to get a shape.

In the same pan as you fried the onions, on a medium-high heat fry the burgers for about 5 minutes on either side (mine took about 20 minutes). Again, use your judgement. If you’re using pork or chicken mince, you definitely want it to be cooked all the way through so give it a while longer.

Some suggestions as to what else to put in them instead of parsley: chilli, cumin, thyme, rosemary or mint (both good with lamb) or finely diced peppers.

Serving

Serve on a large bun with salad, relish (or chilli sauce, jalapeno sauce, mayo, tomato, mustard etc), large sliced tomato and for that extra touch, a bacon medallion and cheese (of your liking. I use either mature cheddar or Monterrey Jack, but the local supermarket also does "flavored cheeses"). You could also top this with cooked mushroom (sliced)

Alternatively if you are feeling adventurous you could try filling the middle with some cheese, but you would need to break the burger in two and create a layered effect ensuring the cheese is sealed inside (could be one I might try next time)

Last edited:
Got me hungry now, might order a greasy mixed kebab never had one for ages !!! spot on recipe by the way my sister makes them like that all kinds even lamb and mint, beef and chilli etc good stuff

after the stuff about the horse burgers..

i was a bit scared to look at this thread lol

Would it be OK to use horse radish on the side as your recipe seems to be missing a vital ingredient.

Back