Questions about Technomate 6900-S

timherman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Posted this in DVB-S forum, but not replies, so thought I'd see what the peeps in here think:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

First time poster to this forum, but signed up after reading this review :

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/18661...er-review.html

I am currently a SKY+ SD subscriber, and am looking to change to Freesat HD. I find there are not many 'sky only' channels I watch, and I do not want to pay Sky's high subscription charges for HD, but feel my 50" Panasonic HD plasma TV is missing out on HD content!

I understand the Technomate 6900-S allows best of both worlds allowing Terestial Freeview HD and Freesat HD, however I am swamped by the ammount of variables when choosing a box, as I am a newby in this area.

The questions I am hoping to anwser are:

1) With the PVR functionality, am I able to record one channel and watch another (e.g. does it have two DVB-S2 receivers). If not, am I able to at least watch a Terestial Digital channel while recoring a satelite digital channel.

2) I think I read somewhere that this is a generic box and not Freesat compliant. Does this mean EPGs are not avaliable? Basically, can I expect to record in same was as on Sky + with timer recording by selecting 'named' programs.

3) Is this box as good as is said, or are their any better choices in a similar price range.

Many Thanks in advance for replies.

-TJ

this receiver is a single tuner (satellite) and a terrestrial tuner, so you wouldnt be able to record one sat channel while you watch a different one (unless its on the same transponder)

its not a freesat compliant receiver, so you wont have access to the EPG, only now and next information, however, you can setup timers to record manually as long as you know the time and channel a programme is on

this is a very good receiver

a new triple tuner (2xDVB-s2 1xDVB-T) version is due out in next few days, this will act more like sky+ with added freeview, but again with no EPG

hope it helps :)

this receiver is a single tuner (satellite) and a terrestrial tuner, so you wouldnt be able to record one sat channel while you watch a different one (unless its on the same transponder)

its not a freesat compliant receiver, so you wont have access to the EPG, only now and next information, however, you can setup timers to record manually as long as you know the time and channel a programme is on

this is a very good receiver

a new triple tuner (2xDVB-s2 1xDVB-T) version is due out in next few days, this will act more like sky+ with added freeview, but again with no EPG

hope it helps :)

Great, thanks for the reply. I was right about the EPG then, that's a pain. What's the reason for this lack of compliance? A licensing thing?

Tri tuner box sounds interesting - any links / info?

My reason for looking at the combo DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 receivers were as Freeview seems to have channels such as Virgin 1 that are not avaliable on freesat, however my TV decodes Freeview SD already, so are there any benefits in going this way for me? That is, I believe the HD content is / will be the same on both mediums will they not?

Perhaps I would be better off going for a freesat compliant dual receiver box such as the Humax Foxsat-HDR? Any comments as to this box or similar for freesat compliant epg, pvr and dual tuner (watch other channel while recording) functionality?

Thanks again(sorry for rambly post)

the epg thing is to do with licensing, companies have to design their hardware to run specific things to get the license, EPG software, Mheg interactivity and other things

for true EPG and twin tuner, it would either be a sub to sky for sky+ or sky+HD, or the freesat humax HD-R

hi , please could anyone help me how to connect TM 6900S to PC and how to change config files.

this is an old one brought back to life :)

since this was originally posted, technomate receivers were the first closed source receivers to access the 7 day epg from the data stream direct from the satellite itself

for changing 'config' files on your receiver, what are you trying to do m8? update the software / patch, change the channel lists?

Back