ps3 linux and xbmc linux edition

normal divx and vobs are fine,it struggles with iso,img files

Ok, thats reasonably good news for me then. Thanks for taking a look.

Why?
The PS3 handles Divx without Linux anyway.

I bought a cheap USB keyboard and mouse today, came home and couldn't find my USB pen :( Once again I'll need to postpone it until tomorrow.

Dissapointing findings from violentj, hopefully it's user error, I really want this to work.

I've downloaded Ubuntu 8.10, but I'm going to keep searching for one tailored specifically for PS3 HD streaming, or as close as possible.

Last edited:
Why?

I bought a cheap USB keyboard and mouse today, came home and couldn't find my USB pen :( Once again I'll need to postpone it until tomorrow.

Dissapointing findings from violentj, hopefully it's user error, I really want this to work.

i hope ive ballsed up too,cos it would be nice to have it going,but it couldnt cope with a normal x264 music vid,so im not hopefull

Why?

I've downloaded Ubuntu 8.10, but I'm going to keep searching for one tailored specifically for PS3 HD streaming, or as close as possible.
Because this could make an interesting addition to my media center. I am putting a PC together now to sit under the TV, one less box would be a boon.

i doubt any of these will work well for ps3 and HD video.

no version of linux has access to RSX, and i doubt that it will ever have access.

i doubt any of these will work well for ps3 and HD video.

no version of linux has access to RSX, and i doubt that it will ever have access.
That isnt entirely true.

All the PS3 does is virtualise an OS, which means it employs a hypervisor to do this (very de jour in the world of virtualisation). There is one very active project on the go right now that is trying to work with the acceleration hardware in the PS3 and it has made some very good progress.

People have already created demos for the OtherOS feature on the PS3 using the RSX: [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQkXmG6UTI]YouTube - RSX Ps3 Demo, OtherOs demo[/ame]

ok so ive spent a fair few hours titing about with it,and guys-dont bother it cant play 720p or 1080i mkv files,infact the original xbox plays them better-ps3=still frame from film,audio in background xbox=juttery playback audio fine

tried with vlc,mplayer,xbmc and the built in movie player

the linux itself performs better than the last time i tried but as a media player it fails big time

I done the same last night, and cant get it to switch to 720p or 1080i stays at 644 even by using the ps3video utiity. if I try and set it to the correct resolution I just get overscan.

I thought I would have a bash at doing something different with it.

I have mine paying mkv files anyway within the normal ps3 media server by streaming then over the network.

I will stay with the usual PS3 front end

Back