Problems with my new build

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Built this pc around a gigabyte P35-DS3 motherboard, 4 gig ram and a gigabyte Radeon HD 3870 graphics card.
Loaded xp64 on it and had no problem installing the drivers for my motherboard and graphics.

Kept on getting random crashes due to a driver problem, happened more frequently if I played a game on it, so decided to install xp 32 system. This is where my real problems started.

After installing xp pro I installed the chipset drivers without a hitch. I was then nagged that new hardware had been detected, the hd audio bus. Pointed it in the direction of my installation disc and fails to find the drivers. If I run the disc and install manually it does it no problem and the audio works. However, the system reports an error whilst installing the driver and there is an exclamation mark against it.

When installing the lan driver I have to install through device manager to get it recognised. Then if I restart the pc it will not boot up normally, I have to use last known good configuration which means I have no lan again. Re-installed the lan and installed graphics card drivers and everything else I was able to.
Restarted pc and after the post just have a blank display with no hard drive activity.

Completely done my head in now, been at it for hours and I'm back at work tonight. My head is banging with it all.

Anyone got a clue where I'm going wrong?

Chookey

Have you tried the man's web site for updated drivers ect ?
Yes mate, they all seem to be the same as the ones on my disk. Gonna reformat and take the plunge again now. Had an idea it may be an audio driver problem.

The graphics card has ati audio and the motherboard has an hd audio bus. Even though I was disabling the ati audio perhaps it was still causing my problems.

Here goes nothing....Chookey

Don't forget to enable the PAE swtich to use/see the whole 4GB in 32bit XP.

Might be worth updating the BIOS. I know there is the whole "if it ain't broke..." argument for BIOS flashing, but I was told the other day that there are 'issues' on P35 mobo's with 4GB RAM. Whilst my mates Foxconn mobo did need the latest BIOS to run 4GB, my ASUS P5K-E hasn't had a problem with 4GB since it came out of the box.

Don't forget to enable the PAE swtich to use/see the whole 4GB in 32bit XP.

Might be worth updating the BIOS. I know there is the whole "if it ain't broke..." argument for BIOS flashing, but I was told the other day that there are 'issues' on P35 mobo's with 4GB RAM. Whilst my mates Foxconn mobo did need the latest BIOS to run 4GB, my ASUS P5K-E hasn't had a problem with 4GB since it came out of the box.
I reckon it is a ram problem mate. Don't know what the PAE switch is though so I'll google that in a bit. I reinstalled xp64 and get random bsod's before installing any of the mb drivers or graphics card.

Just removed/reinstalled the graphics card and ram incase it weren't sitting right. Gonna have an hours rest from it and then try again.
Was in the middle of installing windows updates when I got the last bsod. Fooked my install up so have to reformat and start again, lol.

Daren't interfere with the bios at the present time. If it fooks up during that procedure I'd really be in the sh*t.

Chookey

That motherboard, and most modern motherboards, has a DualBIOS facility for just those occations when it does go wrong - from power outage during flash proceedure to flashing the wrong BIOS version. Alot of the manuf' have programs that allow you to flash the BIOS from within windows itself, but do check how to enable the back-up BIOS first.

It could still just be a problem with using 4GB RAM. But to check the RAM itself download the freeware program memtest86+ and run it at boot up http://www.memtest.org/

PAE: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Got to agree try it first with no more than 2 gig of ram and if that works ok you can always add the extra ram later and see if the problem returns.

That motherboard, and most modern motherboards, has a DualBIOS facility for just those occations when it does go wrong - from power outage during flash proceedure to flashing the wrong BIOS version. Alot of the manuf' have programs that allow you to flash the BIOS from within windows itself, but do check how to enable the back-up BIOS first.

It could still just be a problem with using 4GB RAM. But to check the RAM itself download the freeware program memtest86+ and run it at boot up http://www.memtest.org/

PAE: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Looks like I've cracked it mate. Everything installed and running sweet as a nut at the moment.
Not strictly a ram problem but the memtest program you linked gave me the key to the problem.

I ran it for 11 minutes before getting errors all over the shop and then it came to a sudden halt. I then read all the info it gave and noticed the ram timing was different, 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-15. I also changed the ddr voltage from 1.8v to 2.1 which is the manafacturers recommended voltage.(OCZ)

This was my first build and I didn't know that you could change these settings in the bios. Chuffed to buggery now so can go to bed happy. I finished work 5 hours ago but needed to get this sorted.

Thanks for all your help little_pob and everyone else who replied.

Chookey

Back