pc won't fully shut down

Bilbee

Inactive User
Reaction score
When i shut down my pc the screen goes blank but the base stays on so i shut it of by pressing the power button off,when i restart the pc it has to go through scandisk.
any1 any ideas on whats gone wrong.
appreci8 any advice...bilbee... :mad:

hi m8
the first thing would be to look at the last bit of software you installed as it may not be fully compatible

but i would like to know what os you have and any changes you had made to the system/bios settings this will help us get to the answer quicker and more accurately

thanks

Hi Bilbee,
Here is something for you to try.

When you are in windows press ctrl-alt & del together it brings up the CLOSE PROGRAM menu..

Look to see if any are not reponding..

I all clear then select the top file and select Close, then shutdown your system.

if it closes down ok then that is the offending program which is halting the system on shut down. If not select the next and so on,, DONT select Explorer this wont close.

dependant on what is is you can disable it in the startup sequence which is
START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM INFORMATION
Look under the menus and find the startup and edit it, disabling the offending prog..

I have also found that using certain cdr writing software can also cause this. And a little program that comes with some budget a4 scanners called WATCH.EXE all this does is wait for you to lift the scanner lid..get rid..

The other solution is a fresh installation and monitor when it starts misbehaving install each program on there own then run it for a while..Thus trcking down the program. :cool: :cool: :cool:

If you have a network card installed then this may be the problem.....remove it and see if the problem persists...if the system now shuts down you must put it back in and assign the NIC an IP address and configure it properly. Otherwise you may have the soft power off option enabled in the BIOS. Change this to instant off and see if it now shuts down...Another thing you can try is going to system tool-System Info-Tools-system config utility-Startup....in this box you will find all the items that load into memory on boot up...untick a box at a time and reset inbetween each unticking of the box....when your system manages to shut down you have found the offending program/util...go back in and tick all the other boxes apart from the last one you unticked....you can now leave the offending item disabled from start up or you can add/remove it. If this fails look at drivers!

Back