pc keeps cutting out

benny hill squad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello, My spare pc keeps on making high pitch noises like fingernails down a blackboard and then just switches off, Anyone help? it's nearly five year old so it might be just getting old but i'd like to find out what's making theat noise!

I'd say first suspect is the power supply.
If its a really high pitch, as in some people with bad hearing wouldnt hear such a high frequency sound, then its power supply failure which is due to inefficient capacitance ~so it works but seemingly randomly fails as its struggling to produce constant correct voltages at the ampage required.

i opened the power supply and it was caked in dust along with the fan, so i took it apart and cleaned it this morning, on some parts of the board it looked like it was welded on! had it running for 2 hours and no more noises and it's running ok. i had a spare fan dust filter i whacked on the fan plate. thanks for everyone's tips and advice;)

i opened the power supply and it was caked in dust along with the fan, so i took it apart and cleaned it this morning, on some parts of the board it looked like it was welded on! had it running for 2 hours and no more noises and it's running ok. i had a spare fan dust filter i whacked on the fan plate. thanks for everyone's tips and advice;)

Nice one mate :Clap:

Back