Opinions On TM Part Ex Offer ?

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
before I start Id like to try and keep this to TM800 only really to be fair

if your not an owner and you really feel you have an opinion the please try and keep it fair

what's your honest opinion on Technomates TM800/TM-Twin part ex offer of £80 ?

in TMs favour they don't have to do this at all, and you have to applaud them not just for this but for there customer service as a whole
on the other hand £80 for a box that cost some £250 that have never done as it should seems a bit mean ? and you still have to spend another £250 to get that £80,
do your maths ;)

I just would really like to know your honest opinion/fair on the offer

please keep clam in this thread lol its a debate not a fight ;)

Some people paid £250 for the box and then another £50 for the wireless adapter.

1) The TM800 should still be developed and finished - as best as a Linux box can be. Not everyone can afford to shell out again after commiting to such an expensive box in the first place.

2) The offer for part-ex should run for at least 6 months. This will give people enough time to gain an opinion on reviews from others. Also to clear the situation of the "oh yes, that is almost fixed - new image will be out next month" saga of last time - people still say "well they did offer a refund on TM800" but forget to mention how they were promised the moon on a stick if they could just wait a few more weeks, and a few more weeks..... It'll also give people time to see if TM have learnt from their past mistakes or not regarding image development. If they haven't then it'll seal their fate, if they haven't done that already.

Well i have just started out with this sort of thing and went and paid £139 for the box, i had done a bit searching for a box but missed the bad post's about it until it was to late ( which ive learnt by ).
To be offered £80 is disgusting really TM know what problems they have with this box and i belive we have consumer rights to get a full refund, they have falsely advertised a product as working therefore a breach of consumer rights. I would say if people where to contact TM with leagal action they wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Some people paid £250 for the box and then another £50 for the wireless adapter.

people still say "well they did offer a refund on TM800" but forget to mention how they were promised the moon on a stick if they could just wait a few more weeks, and a few more weeks.....

Very good points there! That I personally pointed out to TM last week mate

My opinion is simple on this one, when we first heard about the px some people were saying if they got £150 px that would not be a bad deal.

I knew in my heart that there was no way that would be offered, and already decided the future of my 800.

Which was to replace my TM600 in my bedroom and let it do what it does best and produce excelent quality TV images.

By doing this if TM keep to there word and try and devolop the software in the future I could be in a win win situation.

If not I got a box which produces better quality tv than the SD TM600 - which for the remote time I actually watch tv is the bedroom is fine

The initial outlay of £239.00 is nether here or there now, if nothing else it has given me 14 months of moaning to keep me occupied and I would have only have wasted the money on something else that would have depricated at the same rate.

However I must stress I would still like to see new improved images released.

if you have 'recently' purchased a TM800, and find that its not working as described, then you can return it for a refund as its not working as described

with people who bought it when it first came out, they paid £250 for the receiver, most people who bought it when it first came out were also given the wifi module.

the offer of a refund by technomate would never have worked, even if anybody had tried to take them up on it, for a few reasons.

technomate are 'supposed' to ONLY sell to trade only outlets, these trade only outlets then sell 'to the trade' who then sell to the end user

the 'trade only' outlet only offers and exchange or credit for the trade value of the receiver (which has dropped over time, the credit will be current prices) technomate offers the trade only outlet exchange or credit

so technomate said, after 18 months 'get a refund' even though the end retailer will be left MASSIVLEY out of pocket, as technomate direct wouldnt refund someone £250 now on a receiver thats probably got a starting trade price of only a third of that amount

if you bought a TM800 for £249, and want to 'trade it in' for a TM-TWIN, then as pointed out, you also have to spend another £249 to get the £80 trade in price

this means that your TM-TWIN has now cost £498 :eek:

there WILL be people who are going to jump up and down and shout and scream about this, most of who dont own a TM800, will never own a TM-TWIN, and just like to shout and scream

Technomate DO NOT have to offer any sort of part-ex deal, and again, as pointed out, technomates customer support cannot be faulted, the team behind their software support, is a completley different matter though, and that is where this whole problem has stemmed from, owners constantly being promised a bucket full of steam, bu the time the bucket arrives, theres no steam in it to interest anyone

personally, i think that anyone who can prove that they bought a TM800 for £250, could argue the case that the TM800 HAS NEVER been completley fit for purpose, and if its still boxed and in a good condition, could have a VERY good arguement for quite an obscene amount of trade in value against the £329 RRP of a TM-TWIN (£80 = 25% of RRP, if it was me, id start the arguing at around 75-80% of RRP and let myself get 'bargained' down to around 45-55% off ;))

but then theres also the arguement that the TM800 eventually launched about 19 months ago (May 2010), its lost about 40% of its value in that time (average, less than 18 months ago i bought my Vu+ Duo for £320 trade price plus vat, theyre now that retail price) but the people who bought it for £250, WERE NOT expecting to have to replace it, especially for another ~£200 (or more) to get something that 'does what it says on the tin'

that sort of nomey could pay for a Sky+ subscription, with a free twin tuner HD PVR that actually works fully

it also depends on exactly what finctions you want from the receiver

as a standard linux receiver, with not too much expected from it, it works (with modified images to get more out of it)

as a linux receiver in the true sense of the word, for the adaptability of numerous plugins, personalisation, full networkability including streaming etc, then its just not up to the task

no matter what it says on the box, or what UR/iQ says is coming

ive got to the stage where as nothing is available for me to 'do' with the receiver, ive started compiling images for just about every other receiver, as well as got myself an openbox to play with and started to reverse engineer the way a spiderbox works again

as long as im tinkering with something, im happy

do your maths ;)

Someone who can do maths lol

if you bought a TM800 for £249, and want to 'trade it in' for a TM-TWIN, then as pointed out, you also have to spend another £249 to get the £80 trade in price

this means that your TM-TWIN has now cost £498 :eek:

I think I know what your saying Rickie :err:

I think I know what your saying Rickie :err:

i think i know what rickie is on about

in general, im CRAP with my money, if i see something that catches my eye, and i have the money, ill buy it, i may get home an hour later, and thing 'WTF did i get that for' (like i did with the first pace euro 1080 HD receiver that i bought, took it out of the box, looked at it, put it back in the box, and sold it, just liek my first Vu+ duo, saw the remote, and sold the lot, lol) but, once ive bought something, then thats it, its then dead money to me, and id rather find 'another' use for whatever it was that i bought, instead of having to go through all the crap of trying to shift it on, generally, by the time i get round to selling things, theyre worth next to nothing (i have brand new sky gnome devices that i keep meaning to sell, as well as brand new sky+ receivers in sealed boxes lol)

Back