Old boiler

A friend reminded how to cut the water supply. I just need too tie up the ballcock in the header tank, then drian the system on the boiler. I forgot there was a ballcock to stop it refilling.

A friend reminded how to cut the water supply. I just need too tie up the ballcock in the header tank, then drian the system on the boiler. I forgot there was a ballcock to stop it refilling.
I thought it was combi boiler my bad.

you can always turn all the other rads in the house to off before you drain it, then save some of the water if it has inhibitor in the system.
We haven't used the rads since the price of fuel rocketed, so I don't mind if the whole system drains.

I've now got a leaking radiator with a broken off valve. If I isolate the pump on the boiler will it stop refilling the leaking rad? Or is there a water cut off to the boiler?
You could just take the faulty valve off and replace with a new one. I've done this with a few of my rads in the past when replacing the valve. You can block the rad side with a plastic bag or cloth with a tray under it to stop the water spurting out while you remove the valve or put a stop end on it. Just keep your thumb on the pipe to the valve in between taking the old off and putting the new one on. Use a cloth or towel over the valve as well to stop any water spurting upwards for the brief second. Can be a little messy but just have a towel underneath and around the area to soak the excess water. It will save you draining down. You can also buy freeze packs thats you wrap around the pipes that freeze the pipes to stop the water while you repair something like Arctic Hayes Aero Pipe Freezing Kit 8-15mm at Toolstation for under 20 quid.
I'm just DIY-er so I'm sure someone in the know will provide better advise. It is easier than it sounds :)

The rad is off now. Just need a trip to ScrewFix now for a new valve.

Glad you got it sorted mate!! You should take the radiator off the wall while its disconnected and run a hose through it in the back and watch all the black slime and gunge that comes out of it ;):)

You should find that it warms up quicker now you've done that and it should feel hotter as well

Back