Routers Non Sky router on Sky ADSL?

herbs

Inactive User
Reaction score
Could someone please clear this up for me?

I'm replacing a friend's Sky router as it refuses to work with Chromecast and is very old, has no place in 2015. I'm not a Sky customer so can't check but she says they won't give her a free one.

From what I've read, Sky don't like you doing that and the username and password are hardcoded. I could hardly believe it. She has supplied me with her sky login and password, but I suspect they are different. Is this still the case? Will they give it over the phone?

Unfortunately she doesn't have a laptop and I've not had much success with her navigating the router interface from her phone so calculating the credentials from the MAC etc is going to be painful. I won't be able to get round there and was relying on being able to preconfigure it.

This one I think: TP-Link TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Can anyone with Sky advise please?

Thanks.

The sky login is hidden within the firmware on the older routers and sky will not give you the login ect as they cannot support every router out there. There are programs on the net that use the mac code and maybe serial number to work out your login. I used it once and connected up ok, now though i have sky fibre so use there box.

Thanks for confirming they won't supply the password.
Im really surprised they won't replace an ancient router and even more so that they will obstruct you from going unsupported and using your own.

just get a second router that will run ddwrt and set it up as switch that way you can connect everything to the ddwrt router and everything should be good

tell sky you are moving to another provider they will soon give you a new router I did and got the new square router and free unlimited for a year. Just depends who you get on the end of the phone at the time I think

Back