Nikon D3200 DSLR advice

Re: Nikon D3200 DSLR advise

Set your camera to take picture in RAW, it'll offer more flexibilty during editting. Try to use it in manual mode when ever you can this way you will learn more about your camera. you will only get Cash back from legit. dealers, so watch out.

I don't have the model but i'm sure D3200 is a nice camera.
I have D700 and D300 with 4 lenses, 24-70 f2.8, 135 f2 DC, 50 f1.4 and 16-35 f4

what are you suggesting for me lol :).

I want to buy DSLR, I always wanted one and now I think is a good time to try one.

A few questions, do all lenses work on all cameras?

Nope, lens is specific to the manufacture, so you can't mix nikon and cannon lens for example. You can get OEM lens for most brands though. Sigma have a pretty good reputation and they make lens for both cannon and nikon. This is a problem you are likely to find that pentax are less well supported.

why would the d3200 boast 24mp but the Pentax k500 offer only 16mp but still some would suggest that the Pentax takes better pictures?

would you also need the better SD cards (quicker).

what else do I need to look out for?

Mick

Its not just about megapixels, there are lots of other factors to take into account. best thing is to try the cameras if you can. Some people don't get along with features and settings on some cameras, good news is there is plenty of choice.

As for SD cards, I use a transcend 10x SDHC and that can keep up fine with burst and video mode.

... A few questions, do all lenses work on all cameras? ...
I missed this question, apologies.

I agree with oneman, but would like to add: (quotes for context)
Nope, lens is specific to the manufacture, so you can't mix nikon and cannon lens for example...
You also need to be careful within the same marque too. For example, even though they have lenses you can change, a lens for a Nikon 1 mirrorless camera won't fit a Nikon DSLR (although adapters might be available).

The important bit to look for when lens shopping is that the lens mount is compatible.
Sigma have a pretty good reputation...
Indeed, and the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 is a very popular upgrade from the standard 18-55mm kit lens on many marques. Although at approx £330, it's definitely a "future investment".

Whilst most of my 3rd party lenses are Sigma; Tamron is another brand to look out for. Some will debate who is the better choice, Sigma or Tamron, but it can often depend on the lens you're looking at.
... and they make lens for both cannon and nikon.
And Pentax, and Sony... ;)
This is a problem you are likely to find that pentax are less well supported.
Yep. There are fewer high-end lenses from the OEMs and 3rd party manufacturers for both Pentax and Sony. But the lenses that are "missing" tend to be those used by professionals, and cost £3000+. The amateur, hobbyist, and most semi-pros are well covered.

Last edited:

i just got my D3200 from flybay, £240 with 18-55 vr len boxed and only 3.5k clicks well happy with it, no photoshop editing, the laser pen one is on tripod at 30sec with me spinning it around lol DSC_3274[1].JPGCSC_3271[1].JPGDSC_3177[1].JPGDSC_3336[1].JPG

I took the plunge and picked up that bargain posted for the kit today at curries d3200.

Battery charging now lol, can't wait to start snapping :)

Also one question lads, I need a lens to take pictures of rooms and work we do, what lens is best to get snaps of work we do for clients?

Thanks all

to be honest @Mick the lens you have should be fine, ive been using an 18-70 from old D70 just to give you that little bit wider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers @big-ron :)

Can Someone tell me the way that the mm in cameras work please?

I mean I have seen this 10-30mm Lens for the nikkon £139 (would this also fit the D3200 Camera?)

1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

Would this be a Wide Angle Lens that would get a wider shot of rooms etc???

PS lovely Pics mate ;)

Cheers all

Just had a text message my d3200 is coming tomorrow who can't wait

Simply put @Mick its the focal length. The lower the numbers the wider the angle of view.
However the actual focal length will be different in reality as the sensor is not 35mm so some cropping will occur.

I would go for an 18-200mm lens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers @big-ron :)

Can Someone tell me the way that the mm in cameras work please?
mm = focal length. With DSLRs it's always given in film (35mm) equivalence. As such you need to multiply by the crop factor, but don't forget to multiply the f number by the same value.

Basic rules of thumb.
<20 = wide angle
>70 = telephoto

lower f number = faster lens
higher f number = slower lens
I mean I have seen this 10-30mm Lens for the nikkon £139 (would this also fit the D3200 Camera?)

1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

Would this be a Wide Angle Lens that would get a wider shot of rooms etc???

PS lovely Pics mate ;)

Cheers all

That won't fit your camera without an adapter. It's for the Nikon 1 mount, you need Nikon AF-S mount lenses for the D3200.

Unless you're willing to shell out £250+ for a wide angle prime* or £350+ for a wide angle zoom, the 17/18mm range is about as good as you'll get. Although second hand bargains might be possible from ebay and your local camera shop, pawnbrokers or Cash Converters style second hand store.

The Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM is a popular wide angle choice (I've got the Pentax version), but costs £350. With the D3200's 1.6x crop factor, it equates to a 35mm equivalent of 16-32mm f6.4-9.

*Prime is the industry way of saying the lens has a fixed focal length i.e. it doesn't zoom.

Last edited:

Been fecking about all night lol... I like the manual use for close ups with the 200mm lens.

The auto on close ups of objects just makes them blurred ???

I think some you tube videos are in order to get good at using it lol.

Allot of options are not available in the menu.

Cheers all
Mick

Been fecking about all night lol... I like the manual use for close ups with the 200mm lens.

Cheers all
Mick
Lenses have a minimum focus distance. This is the closest you can get to the subject before the lens will not be able to bring it into focus; the nearer to get to this limit, the more the AF can struggle with locking in.

On the Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6 G AF-S this is 1m.

Cheers all
Mick

It's also depend on lightting condition, switch your lens to M mode then focus your subjest manually.

Cheers all
Mick

Yes, a lot of the options are not in the menu, but on the various buttons- for instance the +/- button near the shutter release- hold that whilst turning the thumb-dial to adjust exposure is just one example. I confess I did learn a lot from the 3200 for dummies book lol!

For those who may need it Here is the dummies book

EDIT: book not complete sorry chaps

Attachments

• Nikon D3200 for Dummies.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Nikon D3200 for Dummies.rar
    5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Sorry Napster, that book doesn't look complete. Seems to only go up to page 30.

I've actually got the book, found a used copy on amazon for £3 something. Well worth it, its surprisingly a very good book. Not only on how to use the camera but a lot of jargon explained about photography in general and also hints on taking good photos.

Back