netbook keyboard probs

berley

Inactive User
Reaction score
Daughters netbooks keyboard is not working properly, it’s a Hp mini 110 1110sa and has a bios password on it, the return key types something instead of returning, the delete key also types instead of deleting etc, I have googled and the best I’ve found is to press - fn+no.lock – tried this and it didn’t work also tried ctrl +shift, and every other thing google is suggesting. Tried hooking up a seperate keyboard and this behaves the same way as her netbook keyboard.

Tried getting into the recovery mode on her hard drive but before you can press f11 it keeps going to the bios password, which she knows but because the keyboard is behaving oddly it doesn't recognise the password.

the netbook has HP instant web on it

· Instant Web is an instant on software solution that allows users to quickly and easily get to a browser, an IM client, and their media in a secure, fast booting environment.

The keyboard did work fine when she was using instant web, ie she could type in url addresses etc.

To get from instant web into normal windows you press the windows key on the keyboard, she had a password set for windows, originally it was just here when her keyboard started playing up, non of the keys worked apart from the space bar so she went into the bios to see if she could change the password to spacebar x 3 (because the spacebar was working) instead she inadvertently put that as a bios password

So now she's got a netbook that cant even boot into instant web because its asking for a bios password.

Is there a workaround for this or is she caught in a catch 22 ?

Good Advice Him Her lets just hope that the bios has an option to boot from usb. Assuming its of recent build and not having any optical drives I believe it would boot from usb.

Before I read these replies I had already hooked up an external keyboard again earlier on today so that I could reset the clock and time (as I’d had the CMOS battery out)

While it was hooked up I checked the regional settings for the keyboard, they are set for English UK.

I also went into device manager, clicked keyboard then right clicked it and pressed update driver software, it checked the net then came back and said “windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date” (although I’m not sure if it will have been checking the external keyboard) ?

I’ve also went into the bios and reset it to default , and checked the boot order because I was going to change it to boot from USB first but there was no option to do that.

Since I’m not technically minded (aka thick lol ) can someone please explain to me the difference had I done all the above with linux ?

Thanks for the suggestions about downloading ubuntu but there seems little point now as there isn't an option on the netbook to boot from USB.

Oh and am I correct in thinking that ” HP instant web” doesn’t load any drivers and that’s why the keypad would have been working on that and not in windows ?

I have seen this on numerous occasions and its always a keyboard hardware fault 99% of the time
glad you are back up and running :)

Well it turned out to be a hardware fault then, I'm glad you have resolved the issue.

Had it been a software fault then I was in safe hands with the help I was getting, I'm always grateful when peeps stay with a post and follow it through until the end, it was especially nice to see yourself posting as I noticed you've been a member from 2006 but don't have that many posts, it was noticeable that you knew your stuff with the posts you've made in this thread, It was also a learning experience for me and in a way it was nice to check and try and lot of the suggestions :)

Had it been a software fault then I was in safe hands with the help I was getting, I'm always grateful when peeps stay with a post and follow it through until the end, it was especially nice to see yourself posting as I noticed you've been a member from 2006 but don't have that many posts, it was noticeable that you knew your stuff with the posts you've made in this thread, It was also a learning experience for me and in a way it was nice to check and try and lot of the suggestions :)

Thanks Berley, I have been a member of digitalworldz since the cable dboxes scene. I used to post on this and another forum world of ..... ( you might know if you were into the cable scene) but since then I had moved into the satellite scene and went away for a while. Eitherway is good to be back here and be able to give a helping hand whenever possible.

Back