Need to upgrade 4.1e to play newer games ?

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I softmodded my wii ages ago and its still on firmware 4.1e using NeoGammaR6 with BootMii (v0.9) installed to Boot2.

Can I play newer games with this or do I have to do some updating ?

I used to just use an app on the PC (called WiiBrickBlocker) to strip out the updates before burning to dvd and I like that method (dont want to use USB hard disc) so I am wondering if I can still do this using alternative software as WiiBrickBlocker doesnt seem to work on Windows7 ?

Also ... I formatted an SD card this morning and did a NAND backup which completed and verified sucessfully but I cant see the backup on the SD when I stick it in the PC ... is that normal ?

Thanks.

Mines on 4.1e still, plays everything i've chucked at it - although had to update some of the IOS's to get stuff like Just Dance 2 to work. Most recent thing i've got is Mario Games but not tried it yet.

i'm sure i read somewhere 4.1's the best to be on.

Mines on 4.1e still, plays everything i've chucked at it - although had to update some of the IOS's to get stuff like Just Dance 2 to work. Most recent thing i've got is Mario Games but not tried it yet.

i'm sure i read somewhere 4.1's the best to be on.

So are there still apps available to strip the updates out of the ISOs before I burn them or do I have to install something like PriiLoader ?

Dunno, i've never removed any updates from ISO's i download. All my downloads go straight onto the HD - but i do have bootmii/priloader installed so they're probably blocking any updates... i think.. was so long ago i did it!

have a look for 'Pimp My Wii' i think it's called, it'll search for updates for the IOS's u have and download them.

Also ... I formatted an SD card this morning and did a NAND backup which completed and verified sucessfully but I cant see the backup on the SD when I stick it in the PC ... is that normal ?

Thanks.
Its been a while from i did a back up but i think you should see it on the S/d card.

I also use modmii to up date for the newer games.

Doesn't modmii rely on you answering the questions correctly though ?
I cant remember what IOS I installed now. It was just a blur of numbers to me at the time I did it.

I will get this NAND backup done (so I can actually see the files on the SD) and then install priiloader. One I have done that bit 'and it works' I will look at getting a USB loader installed (I said earlier I didn't want a USB loader but after more reading I realised I could share the drive with my PS3 as it uses FAT32 format now).

Doesn't modmii rely on you answering the questions correctly though ?
I cant remember what IOS I installed now. It was just a blur of numbers to me at the time I did it.

I will get this NAND backup done (so I can actually see the files on the SD) and then install priiloader. One I have done that bit 'and it works' I will look at getting a USB loader installed (I said earlier I didn't want a USB loader but after more reading I realised I could share the drive with my PS3 as it uses FAT32 format now).

The questions are quite simple. Just treat it as a virgin wii. You need to know what firmware you are currently on. Just install it and try it out. It downloads and copies all the files you need to your sd card. You don't have to use it but its really simple.

Turns out the NAND backup problem was something to do with the SD card. Its the same card I used to do the rest of the hacks but it would appear that BootMii (although it will write the nand dump and verify it) doesn't work properly as the NAND.BIN cant be seen in widows. Tried with a different card and it works a treat :)

Tried to install priiloader but got this error ...
Failed to retrieve nand permissions from nand!IOS 36 isn't patched!

Do I have to do the trucha thing (install/upgrade whatever-it-is) do get priiloader to work ?
Heres how the current system is ...

sysCheck v1.6.2 by Erik Spyder

Region: PAL
The system menu v450 is running under IOS36 (rev 3094)
Hollywood v0x11
Boot2 v3
Found 73 titles
Found 22 IOS on this console
Found 9 IOS Stubs on this console

IOS (revision) IOS Stub Trucha Bug ES Identify Flash Access NAND Access Boot2 Access USB 2.0
IOS4 (rev 65280) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS9 (rev 521) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS10 (rev 768) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS11 (rev 256) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS12 (rev 12) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS13 (rev 16) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS14 (rev 263) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS15 (rev 266) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS16 (rev 512) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS17 (rev 518) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS20 (rev 256) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS21 (rev 525) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS22 (rev 780) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS28 (rev 1293) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS30 (rev 2816) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS31 (rev 3092) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS33 (rev 2834) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS34 (rev 3091) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS35 (rev 3092) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS36 (rev 3094) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS37 (rev 3612) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS38 (rev 3610) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS50 (rev 5120) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS51 (rev 4864) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?
IOS53 (rev 5149) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS55 (rev 5149) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS60 (rev 6174) No Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS61 (rev 4890) No Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS249 (rev 14) No Enabled Enabled Disabled Enabled Disabled Enabled
IOS250 (rev 65535) No Enabled Enabled Disabled Enabled Disabled Enabled
IOS254 (rev 3) Yes ? ? ? ? ? ?

Cheers.

Modmii will install priloader too... it does it all... go on, give it a try ;) Seriously, give it a go. Select virgin wii and answer the questions. This will enable you to rehack/update you wii.

Last edited:
Modmii will install priloader too... it does it all... go on, give it a try ;) Seriously, give it a go. Select virgin wii and answer the questions. This will enable you to rehack/update you wii.

I second that modmii is so easy you'll wonder why you worried you run it on your computer then copy the files it generates onto your sd card then just install the wads with the wadmanager from the homebrew channel it is all automatic

edogg

I guess I am a bit worried that since its been previously done that the newer hacks will cause a conflict and brick it completely.

I suppose theres not much to loose if I have a NAND backup from BOOT2 ?

as long as you have the NAND - AND have priiloader and/or bootmii already installed TO boot2 - then you will be able to recover it, thats my understanding

as long as you have the NAND - AND have priiloader and/or bootmii already installed TO boot2 - then you will be able to recover it, thats my understanding

and there lies the problem ! I can't get priiloader installed as it just says ...
Failed to retrieve nand permissions from nand! IOS 36 isn't patched!

Which is rather strange since on the official priiloader site it says that it doesn't use any hacked IOSs ?!

Hey,

To be honest i would not worry about priloader. I dont install it and for it to work you have to leave the SD card in the Wii.

You can either use Modmii as a few members use on here or you could use Pimp My Wll to update all your IOS/WADS ect (i like pimp my wii personally but its a personal choice). There are no questions it just loads and runs off and updates everything with no worries.

Once you have done this you can use the safe 4.1 update that is included in the 3.1 to 4.1 any Wii tut HERE.

This is how i would personally do it.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back