memory slot won't work

yicker124

Inactive User
Reaction score
It's a clients desktop computer; Asus K8N-VM motherboard.

He wants to play a game that requires 512Mb RAM and ideally a half decent graphics card.

It has 512Mb memory in memory slot 1 and 64 Mb goes for the onboard video so no good for the game.

When installing a further 512Mb into slot 2.The PC will not POST!

The original stick is DDR 3200 the new stick is DDR 3200; I have tried DDR2700:They will all work in slot one and they both register and work in another PC.

I have tried swopping the memory over: only slot one works.I've cleaned slot 2.

I saw a tip recommending changing the vcache levels in System.ini; done that and it still won't POST.

I know I could put a 1Gb stick in slot one. I'm going to try a graphics card with 128Mb on it to see if the game (Warcraft) will play but it doesn't solve the slot 2 problem which I haven't come across before.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Check for a BIOS upgrade, in case there was a bug in it...

Also, what does the manual say, perhaps it's picky on what can be used.

Slot 1 is working and there doesn't appear to be a setting in the BIOS to enable/disable slots.

I don't want to chance the BIOS update in case it's just a faulty slot and he can always go the 1Gb single in slot1 if the graphics card option doesn't work

The mobo spec. says it should take 2Gb RAM

Thanks for your input guys.

I once had a motherboard that had a RAM slot disabled. We didn't bother trying to enable it either. Was a packard bell. I think that's really sneaky that they do that to try and get you to buy a new computer instead of upgrading.

I have seen this before on HP Business machines too. We had two types, one type had a jumper that disabled the other ram slots, when we removed them we found that we could upgrade the ram.

Seems like it doesn’t the 2 sticks of memory I tried: see below from Manual.

“Installing DDR DIMMs other than the recommended configurations may cause memory sizing error or system boot failure. Use any of the recommended configurations on the next page.

Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor. Refer to the DDR400 Qualified Vendors List on the next page for details.”

I’m going to install 1Gb in slot 1.

Thanks to all for comments and ruminations.: thanks :

Seems like it doesn’t the 2 sticks of memory I tried: see below from Manual.

“Installing DDR DIMMs other than the recommended configurations may cause memory sizing error or system boot failure. Use any of the recommended configurations on the next page.

Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor. Refer to the DDR400 Qualified Vendors List on the next page for details.”

I’m going to install 1Gb in slot 1.

Thanks to all for comments and ruminations.: thanks :
That was what I was getting at mate, it might just be picky on what it likes, so matched pairs might be what is needed.

Back