Magic eye + triplexed socket?

Timbo

Member ++
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this will work? (I have missed off the LNB / dish connections that goes into the VU+ Duo and TV Aerial connections from the roof that goes into the RF Modulator in to try and keep things simple)

triax.JPG

I was going to have a diplexed socket (TV+RADIO) where the DC pass-thru is the TV socket, but looking at it, for a few pence extra, I might as well stick a triplexed socket (SAT+TV+RADIO) where the DC pass-thru is on the SAT socket, in case I stick a sat box in the room at a later date.

My main concern is only having the magic eye plugged into the sat socket? will that work? as I am used to "piggy backing" them onto the aerial lead for the TV tuner.

Basically, will it change the channels on the remotely located VU+ box?

Thanks

This is quite interesting... I like the modulator approach

But would it not be easier to just buy a XANTEK ir kit (about £30 on ebay), and with this just run a cat5/cat6 cable to extend the IR receiver (not sure if you can run cat5/6 though?).

AND if you add anything you just add an emitter to each device.

I have only ever used diplexed/triplexed with multiswitches... and for me with 8 LNB's I would not install a multiswitch unless it was in flats etc.

Can you even use a magic eye with a DUO (does it have a 9v RF out?), and will the triplex pass it?

Regards
Mick

Last edited:
Can you even use a magic eye with a DUO (does it have a 9v RF out?), and will the triplex pass it?

Regards
Mick

Hi Mick,

I already have an Omnilink Plus Skylink satellite tv remote control magic eye extenders which will pass the IR back to the duo (as the duo or any other non-sky receiver do not have the 9v RF modulator)

So your last question is basically what I need to know...I know the power-pass socket on a triplexed module is the SAT socket... so I'd have to connect the magic eye to that socket, but can I plug in a magic eye and not connect it tuner at the back of the TV - i can't see any reason why not.

Here's the Triax module datasheet - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1073342.pdf - it show's on which sockets the power-pass-thru can occur

Last edited:
in a triplexed socket, the circuitry would block the UHF frequencies from coming out of the sat socket, but, they should come out of the UFK socket, but, i dont knif (i don think) that the 30khz IR return path will be sent back through the socket even if the DC does make it out to the magic eye, as normally in these situations, a triplexed plate AND a straight thru socket for RF2 is used

what cables have you run m8? if youre lookking to change things in the future, but want it to look nice untill then, for the sake of a fiver, buy the seperate sockets, which are straight thru, and then if you need extra connections, depending on what cables you have run, in the future, replace the modules

i use a lot of triax stuff like this, as its so handy to mess about with and update, as long as the cabling is there

Thanks digi..

I think I am just gonna have to see what works once I have all the kit to hand. I haven't actually managed to get round to installing the cable etc just yet... i am still in the process of organising everything and trying to order everything I need.

I am having similar issues, well not issues but cant get my head round the modules. I use a multiswitch and have a combination of triax triplex and quad modules. The multiswitch has 5 inputs 4 from the quttro lnb and 1 from the aerial. If I want to distrubute signal from rf2 can I just connect to any of the tv points in the module that or does it have to have a dedicated cable going to a t splitter to the input on the multiswitch? Sorry to hijack thread lol

Back