House hold electronic noise ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6259
  • Start date
Part P is law but the BS7671:2008 is a recommendation but can be taken into a court of law.
Because of Part P most domestic electricians have to be a member of an overseeing organisation who in turn insist their members follow BS7671:2008.
But all houses do not need to comply. The only leaver is the supply authority should not connect up a supply to something which does not conform with safety standards but where the original supply was simply to a double pole isolator the supply authority could be unaware of any dangers.
Second is electricity at work act but this only covers where people work.
So if an electrician did a periodic inspection report and found a whole list of faults and as soon as he left the occupier turned the power back on there would be very little that could be done.
One may be able to get child protection agency to impound their children and if some one is injured then they may be able to take the person switching the power back on to court but law wise the powers are very low.
However if the landlord switch the power back on the powers are different.
In most cases if one tells some one the electrics are dangerous they will as soon as money allows get them fixed but as to forcing someone to get them fixed one will have a hard time.
Not sure on powers of fire service?
I have seen some pity bad installations in my time. And if the boss will not allow you to fix them you have only one option and that it to leave the job.
I was employed for a very short time delivering and installing cookers. They were contractors for a gas shop of some type and with gas cookers if the wall cupboard was 1/2 inch to close the guy showing me the ropes would not even get the appliance off the van. However with electric anything seemed to go. Isolators right above cooker, no earth impedance tests, no meters to do tests, not even a mega test. And time allowed would not let you do test anyway.
I did only thing I could and quit the job. 3 days I lasted. I am sure they got someone else to do it. As far as customers were concerned must be OK fitted by an electrician. Now yes you could do something under Part P but then there were no officials who could enforce the regulations.
Although no new jobs like that there are still a load of old ones.
And I am told not sure how true. If I go into a house and see an electrical safety issue and turn off the power to heating etc. I can be taken to court for doing it as I may be endangering occupants due to the cold.
If with permission I turn off power then find a fault and refuse to re-instate it that may be OK. But can't turn off without permission of house holder. Yet on an industrial site where I find danger I can turn off the power even it the managing directors forbids it. (Although I would not try it) And if I don't remove the power I could end up in court for not turning it off.

The main fuse on the inlet hasn't even got its small metal safety band on either and I asine they by law must be on

Here are a few pieces of info for you to use -

1) By law, your landlord must ensure that electrical installations and wiring are maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy, and as a tenant you should feel obliged to flag electrical problems as soon as they appear, as well as maintain any electrical items you bring into the house - Source

2) An electrical safety check must be commissioned prior to the commencement of a tenancy, and must be carried out by a competent person (a Part P qualified electrician in kitchens and bathrooms) to ensure that the electricity supply, and all appliances are legal - Source

3) There is currently no law that states a landlord must perform annual electrical safety checks (or any checks at all), so it’s not quite as cut and dried as Gas Safety regulations in rental properties, which stipulates the landlord is legally obligated to get an annual Gas Safety Certification. However, there are various regulations that do apply, but in nearly all cases their requirements only state that systems and equipment must be safely installed and safely maintained - Source

The last link is interesting

The main fuse on the inlet hasn't even got its small metal safety band on either and I asine they by law must be on

I assume you mean the 'seal'? I can't see any of those pics so can't comment much but would probably start looking for voltage drops.

let play a game on 17th edition elec

q 1 how many socket can you run on fused spur

q 2 how many spur you can run on ring main

q 3 what New Wiring Colours on 2.5

let play a game on 17th edition elec

q 1 how many socket can you run on fused spur

q 2 how many spur you can run on ring main

q 3 what New Wiring Colours on 2.5

1 - as many as you like, the 13A fuse is the protection
2 - as many as there are sockets
3 - the same as on all T/E (blue, brown, green/yellow) or grey, black, brown (marked accordingly)

@Bronto The problem I have to face now is yes I can keep at them and go to say the fire brigade or health and safety but I want to be able to prove there has been something wrong since we moved here. so its an independent test I nee carried out.
Of the subject of electric a second last Christmas our old style back boiler packed in after 6 week with no heating we finally got a government grant boiler system fitted as im a lone parent. and just before that the company has it own gas engineers etc and two weeks prior to it packing in it passed the gas safety test. but when the guys from knw were putting the new system in he said you's are lucky your not dead. and it was the worst condition boiler he had ever seen. at the time me and my son bother suffered headaches tiredness etc.so we checked all the vents etc and the main vent coming into the living room was ducked taped over with the white cover placed back over so you couldn't see. I truly believe if the boiler hadn't packed in there could of been a chance me or my son could of been dead due to carbon monoxide. Its my own fault I should of had detectors fitted but it just shows the length they will go to.
Andways guys once again your input has been outstanding and I believe I will get down to the true fault :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back