Hotbird 13E transponders missing in London with openbox s12

shevino7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie so please feel free to tell me off if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have the following problem:
A professional technician installed a 60cm dish fully dedicated to Hotbird 13.0 E and a quad LNB on my rooftop in London.
The LNB has 2 feeds and I have connected them to 2 Openbox s12 in my two rooms.

In March when it was installed despite a signal strength of about 90% the signal quality (SNR) was fluctuating in the mid 50% zone on the HD channels like the Italian sport and movie ones.
Despite this I have been able to watch all of the HD channels until last week.
Now despite attempting millions of blind scans certain transponders always give out the message FAIL and I get no signal if I add them manually.
Unsurprisingly these transponders largely correspond to the HD sport and movie channels, i.e. transponder 11996 V, which is a dvb-s2 8psk is totally dead.
All of the SD channels have always worked well and keep working well, with SNRs in the mid 70%.

It is also worth mentioning that with the other dish (standard S*Y UK) all live transponders work flawlessly giving me an SNR in the mid 70% for both HD and SD channels.

I am really stuck, I do not understand what the issue may be.
Is it the dish being too small? But then why mostly HD channels are missing whereas SD ones work well, plus 60cm for just Hotbird should be fine.
Is it to do with the Vertical vs Horiz polarization openbox issue? But then why no such problem on the s*y lnb, and also I miss some horizontal transponders as well.
Is it to do with the openbox tuner not being sensitive enough? But again, it works well with S*y Uk, although Astra does give a much stronger signal in the UK.
Why has it just started to happen? Have Italian channels changed transponder recently?

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Shevino

Hi shevino7,

Eutelsat Hot Bird 13B/13C/13D at 13.0°E

First check all affected transponder frequencies/symbol rates are correct...

FlySat Hot Bird 13B/13C/13D @ 13° East

According to the coverage area maps/footprints a 50cm~60cm dish should easily pull in all of the transponder frequencies from all 3 beams...

FlySat Hot Bird 113B/13C/13D @ 13° East Beams

If you are still having problems after checking all of the transponder frequencies/symbol rates are correct... then you'll need to check if your dish has gone slightly out of alignment... DVB-S2 8PSK transponders are always the first ones to disappear if you are not receiving enough signal...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

disconnect all the receivers except for 1 and try it.
Sounds like the classic "my openbox doesn't work with a quad lnb" problem.

Thank you both for kindly taking the time to reply.
I have tried to disconnect one openbox from the sat cable and run a blind scan with just the other one to no avail.
Also please note that the 2 openboxes were working well together for about a month.
I think I will call out a technician to redo the alignment, it just bugs me that it wasnt done properly the first time since I paid 400 quid for the installation. I was told I had a 1 year warranty, should have read it better since it says I have no warranty against poor signal reception :(.
Hopefully realigning wont be too expensive.
Thank you again

Ok, quick update, it appears the issue was closely related to the weather. The grey cloud coated reflective sky was not deteriorating the hotbird signal a lot (but not the astra one for some reason). Now the HD channels are back on Hotbird, however despite CCCam descrambling all I get is a black screen. Signal strength and SNR is good. SD channels are also always good. What a mystery...

its the beggining of the end sly italia have been testing paired boxes. all my hd signals were down over the weekend and thats in milan on a vusolo should be ok on sd channels for a while

Yes you are right, this seems to be the problem. I am reading up about what seems to be the end of CS. Such a shame :(

Back