Guide to Operating Systems, Windows, Mac, Linux

Fyobl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guide to Operating Systems, Windows, Mac, Linux.

Hey guys, suddenly or randomly enough I decided to write a guide to help those who can't decide about what OS (Operating System) to get, or just don't understand some of the stuff.

Index
Introduction and PC Infections
32bit and 64bit
Windows
Apple Mac
Linux
Conclusion
Ending Section

Introduction and Infection
Basically a OS is the interface of the system. Its the interface you use to control the Hardware Components of the computer. It is important that you choose something that suites your need. In the world of Computing OS, you only need to know 3 types and makes of OS. Which is Windows by Microsoft, Macintosh by Apple, Linux by Unix/Various Programmers.

Current situation and Why does Windows have so many viruses?
Microsoft weirdly enough is still maintaining a strong hold of the OS market share. It has remained literally untouched for the past 10~20 years. Over 90% of the PC's in this world use Windows, roughly 5~6% are Macs, 1~2% are Linux, rest of them are mobiles (Cell Phones). Basically Windows is the dominator and everyone uses it. Which makes developers make programs for Windows and it continues to hold its throne and remains the most popular OS.

Viruses.
Is it because Windows is insecure? Hell No, Windows itself is built incredibly secure I would say. But due to its popularity, its attempted to be cracked by hackers like every 5 seconds. Why do they want to hack your computer? Simple, Credit Cards details, Bank Details etc. So basically the reason they don't create viruses for Macs and Linux is because why would they do that when nobody uses that OS anyway. Of-course they go for the popular one. Just stay on what you should be on, don't download off untrusted sites and networks. Then even without Anti-Virus you PC shouldn't be faced with any infections.

32bit and 64bit?
What the hell are they? I don't understand? Its the way/architecture your PC work with Indexes and Memory. Don't ask me why and how it works, its just there and I will explain. 32Bit is the Architecture that was put into use since the release of Window 95 in 1995 replacing the old 16bit. 32Bit have a memory address limit of 4GB, back 15 years ago 4GB was like OMG ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE? Ofcourse, computers back then used 16~64mb of RAM. 4GB was just up in the skies and was thought to last them a decade.

And here we are 15 years later, seeing PC's with 4GB RAM and even up to 24GB of RAM. Well to overcome this limit, what should we do? Lets move onto 64bit which can address up to 128GB of RAM. This may sound a lot and I mean a lot in the current situation, but within 15 years, the same would happen and we would be moving onto 128bit, where we can address like TB's of RAM. For now lets talk about 64bit. What the difference? Ofcourse 64bit raises the 4GB Barrier and flies to 128GB. But what else? A common misconception is 64bit is faster than 32bit, that is NOT the case. 64Bits are capable of executing 32bit executions at the equal speed and 64bit aren't any faster. Another misconception is that 64bit MUST use 4GB of RAM or over, that isn't the case and infact it easily capable running with less than 4GB of RAM. In theory you can run 64bit with 1MB of RAM if that's how much it takes for the OS.

Now why does 64bit Windows and other OS's have a higher memory requirement? That is because 32bit worked with 4KB indexes but 64bit works with 8KB indexes. So a 4KB index would take 1 whole 8KB index on 64bit, 2x 4KB index would use 2x 8KB in 64bit. That doesn’t mean double memory consumption, because its coded differently. All you need to know is, 64bit uses 5~15% more RAM when compared to 32bit doing the same task.

So to concluded all this section up.

32Bit = Older standard for the past 15 years and has a address limit of 4GB, and is due to be discontinued in the next 2~3 years.

64Bit = Modern Tech, same speed as 32bit but can address up to 128GB of RAM. Upgrading a OS from 32bit to 64bit doesn't work, You need a clean install for changing “bits”.

Windows
When you are buying a new PC, you would want to know what Windows it uses. Basically a Major release is every 5~6 years for Windows, with mini-releases inbetween. The most well-known Windows must be Windows XP brought to the public in 2001. Every Windows have a lifetime from 5~15 years depending on its type of release. Windows XP was a major release to revolutionise the PC industry from older Windows 95, which made 3 mini-release of 98, ME, 2000. Currently Windows XP is out of Mainstream Support and is on a phrase of Extended Support which supports its life to the end in 2014. Basically no new programs are developed for Windows XP, just security updates from Microsoft.

Now moving on to Modern Stuff. Windows Vista, the Major release in 2006. Failed to do its job as Windows XP still proves itself more popular. It was buggy, the System Requirements from XP to Vista was raised almost 8 times, many old PC did not qualify and it was regarded as “Bloated” by the community. Basically a lot of unnecessary stuff. It wasn't Vista that was bad I would say. The only reason why its Brother Windows 7 is this successful is because Hardware has caught up with Software. Back in the days when Vista was released, the RAM requirement was 512mb, we all know to run anything on Vista it takes 1GB. And 2GB to remain smooth and to run games. No one had that back in 2006, it was crazy to have that amount of RAM. But the release of Windows 7 in 2009, 3 years on. Hardware has caught up and 2GB has become like the Standard of life, so Windows was now smooth. Windows 7 isn't a Major release. Its just basically Vista with nice clothes on and lost a bit of weight also some pretty ads by Microsoft on the TV.

Now if you are building a new PC, I would say go for Windows 7. It is £70 for the OEM version. Which means it is tied to the motherboard you install. If that motherboard dies, you lose the license. But its hella lot cheaper. Retail versions cost over £150, but they offer insurance. You have unlimited licenses, but only 1 can be active at a time. Its up to you, I would say go for OEM. For the price of 1 retail, you can get 2 OEM's. So your PC has 2 chances anyways.

NOTE: At this stage, never go for XP or Vista, its outdated. XP is soon to be gone and doesn't have much improvements anymore. Vista is the ugly and fat version of 7. 7 is Vista who has lost weight, become beautiful and has nice clothes. So always go for Windows 7.

Editions?
Home Premium would do, you don't miss out anything important from Professional and Ultimate to pay the price difference. At the end of the day its still Windows 7.

Macintosh.
I really can't be bothered with this section if you ask me but nevertheless I will do it. If you ask why I hate Apple thats all. You will understand why after reading this section.

Ok I will make this section incredibly short and sweet. Avert your eyes if you are a Mac/Apple fan boy/girl.

Long Talk:
Apple... For the price you are paying for on Apple Macs, you would be better off get half of that money out. Set it on fire. Spend the other half on building a PC that is guaranteed to be faster than the Mac you were gonna buy. Also Macintosh itself isn't a bad OS, but the roots of it are based off Unix. Which is the base of Unix. You might aswell build a awesome PC and whack Linux on it. Much better and faster than a Mac, and you don't have to pay £70 for Windows.

Short Version:
They are far too overpriced

If you buy a Mac your are a idiot, and you are one of those people who just have too much money and want too look cool infront of people. I tell you what, a PC with 6LED fans is much more pretty and impressive than a Mac and it can do much more too. 6LED fan's don't cost more than £30 anyways.
Listen to me, and don't be a fool.

Linux
A Interesting section to talk about.

Linux is free, You download it and burn it to a disk or buy it for £1 online. The £1 is used for delivery and disc cost. How is it possible? Its Open Source that’s why. Anyone is free to modify and look at the code of Linux, its all community work. That’s why. People from all over the world who have their own jobs, contribute and build Linux in their free time or Some run it as a company and hire people running off Ad Revenue and Donations.

Basically why should I choose Linux? Because it is for free, free updates/upgrades, free for life. You don't have to worry about buying a new version of “Windows” every few years. You just download and upgrade the version. Job done in 20 minutes.

Ok then Anthony, if its so good then why does no one use it?
Due to the popularity of Windows, all the programs developers favour Windows because everyone uses it. People don't like change, they prefer what they are used to. And that is Windows. If they switched to Linux, they would have to learn it all from scratch again. A reason I gave up Linux so many times is because I am a Gamer. Linux don't run games. Games are built for Windows, and Linux is coded differently so it can't run it. Not because your hardware isn't capable, because its in a different language to Linux code. Its like chanting in French in the Olympics to English Swimmers. How would they know if they are cursing them or cheering for them? I'm a person who plays games for an hour, switches and does something productive. If I had Linux and Windows dual boot, lets say if I was doing something productive first and wanted to play a game after, I would have to reboot to Windows. That takes time and I don't like waiting, I'm sure no one else does. Now, if I was on Windows first and was playing a game. Then I decided to do something productive, why would I reboot to Linux when I can do it on Windows anyways? Linux would just be waste space in my hardware.

But this isn't the case for a general PC user. They stream videos online (BBC iPlayer, 4 on Demand, Youtube etc), surf the Internet, listen to music, type up something, prepare a presentation, burn disks, edit videos, print something, play flash games. Basically you name it, and its there. Linux does almost everything else apart from Windows exclusive stuff such as playing games. You can even go on MSN, Skype, Xfire, AIM on Linux. For a general user that is great. Why? Because Linux is free and currently for the past 20 years there has been no virus attacks on Linux. Its stable and secure as a rock. Another interesting fact, did you know over 85% of the worlds Supercomputers run Linux? Why do they? Imagine everyone of these Supercomputers required Windows, and Windows cost £70 each. The extra cost is just too much. Also Did you know that Google servers are all ran off Linux? Amazing stuff eh?

Basically a Conclusion about OS Types for Users.
High End/Hardcore Computer Basher = Stick to Windows
Gamer = Stick to Windows
General Home User = Linux
Basic Computer User = Linux

You can't go wrong, it does what most people want. If you do join Linux, go for Linux Mint, its the version that is similar to Windows and one of the most polished and best version of Linux I would say. If you want something popular and fun to play with, go for Ubuntu, its abit harder to learn but its a hella lot of fun once you learn the stuff. Its stable and secure as hell.

Down to Conclusion of this OS Guide.
Anyways I felt my Guide was abit misguiding and confusing at some points. I will now try and clarify it all for you.

Windows, the popular OS. Good, decent, fun to play with, unending possibilities but comes at a cost.

Mac, You might aswell go for Linux. Mac's are just too overpriced, whilst a Linux PC can do better for half the price.

Linux, Good stuff, free, hard to learn, good for the long run.

So down to abit of Tiers on how good the OS is in my eyes.
Tier 1 Good stuff:
Windows 7, Linux Mint,
Tier 2 Medicore Stuff:
Windows XP, Ubuntu, Any other major Linux Disto.
Tier 3 Trash:
Windows Vista, Mac OSX

Do I really need to explain again?
T1, 7 and Mint are just really good OS that will last you a while and does what you want.
T2, XP would be T1 but its outdated now, so I moved it down. Ubuntu would be T1 too but its hard to learn and just more hassle than Linux Mint, same with other Linux Disto.
T3, I might be abit biased with Macs but I would rate them as bad as Vista. Vista was the fail of the century for OS's. Do I need to say more?

I have done my best to explain my knowledge to you all. Happy buying and have fun with whatever OS you choose.

Thanks for your time and Thanks again for reading.

Back